London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
25/03/2013 at 19:06

I know I've done a few posts, but last one for a while...

I'm wanting to grow some lynchis seeds, but some websites say sow september outdoors and others say sow february indoors...I have no idea, can anyone help please?

25/03/2013 at 19:25

I collected seeds from this plant last year maybe mid Summer, late june, early july when the pods were nice and dry and sowed straight away. I had a really good germination rates and have many 2nd generation plants already in the garden. I also swopped some of these seeds with another member earlier this year and they have germinated as well.

Maybe have a go at sowing some now indoors, keeping some back for a later sowing outdoors. Hope that helps......a bit

25/03/2013 at 19:53

I've grown Lychnis chalcedonica from T&M seeds sown in spring.  They took two seasons to flower well and needed staking, but only lasted about 5 years although that may be down to them not liking my clay soil much, or perhaps not getting enough sun (I planted them by an East-facing hedge, so they only got full sun for about half a day.)

25/03/2013 at 20:15
Lychnis coronaria is easy to keep going simply by splitting.
Quicker than seed and you get the variety and colour you want
25/03/2013 at 20:46

Thankyou everyone, how often do you have to split them and do you know how long they take to germinate?

25/03/2013 at 20:58
I split every year. They make large flowering plants for summer
25/03/2013 at 21:07

Do you stake lynchis, as I heard online it can be floppy?

25/03/2013 at 21:12

When I sowed the seeds off the plant last Summer, I think they were very quick to germinate in the coldframe, maybe a couple of weeks. The plants that I have grown from seeds are short stocky rosette in shape, I'm expecting the longer stems to grow up into flowers later in the year.

25/03/2013 at 21:14

I only had one plant last year and that definately did not need staking, it wasn't that tall.

25/03/2013 at 21:20

It probably depends on variety.  My chalcedonica grew to about 3 feet tall and went down in the wind unless staked.

Lyn
25/03/2013 at 21:33
Put some seeds in a month or so ago, all germinated in no time, really easy, grows anywhere.
25/03/2013 at 21:37

Think you are right Bob, don't know the variety of mine, it was a white one, got from a local market for £1.50. It grew to about a metre tall. Like you I planted it in a paritally shaded bed in clay soil. The others that grew from seed I've planted in a more sunny spot. I would like a 3ft variety

25/03/2013 at 21:41

At this rate of weather they're still in line for a chilling if they need one Ryan. Get them sowed and put them outside. They won't want heat they're hardy native plants.

Ragged robin is Lychnis flos-cuculi and usually manages to stand up on it's own.

Lychnis coronaria is the one with felted leaves and white or magenta flowers. Can fall over.

Lychnis chalcedonica is the red one, Maltese Cross and always falls over. Also comes in pink and white now but they're not so impressive

25/03/2013 at 22:00
Best grown in poorish soils in full sun with little feeding. Grown hard they should not need staking in my experience. Never staked one yet. Dead head regularly and it will flower for months
Hollie hock I think you hit the reason for It falling over...heavy soil and shade.
25/03/2013 at 22:12

Thanks nut, the plant I'm describing is the Lychinis flos-cuculi, it was a white type, so interested in what colour flowers the offsprings will produce. I have just sown the Maltese Cross type as well Didn't realise they belonged to the same family.

25/03/2013 at 22:20

Hi hollie hock. I should think you'll get some whites, maybe all white. But there is a tendency for things to seed back to the basic species. I love ragged robin. Don't know if I'll have any this year, I know its natural habitat is damp meadows but my 'damp' meadow has been under water for months. Might be expecting too much. Just waiting to see if the snakeshead fritillaries have survived the same treatment.

25/03/2013 at 22:37
Hi Hollie hock, I grew a nice variety of flos cuculi called Jenny. This one I found to prefer some moisture but it was a stunning colour
25/03/2013 at 23:49

Thankyou everyone for your help, sown some tonight (as bought some in b and q just before they shut), just in seed compost and watered...so they'll just be fine now?

26/03/2013 at 08:07

I should think they will Ryan.

26/03/2013 at 09:18

Okay thanks

1 to 20 of 24 messages