Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mahonia soft caress

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

An article today about mahonia soft caress has re-awakened my interest in this plant.  After researching it I thought it was a little too vulnerable to disease and flowered too sparsely. 

Anyone growing this?  Does it flower well?  Any problems? 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Nowhere near hardy enough for my garden where winters have seen off a mahonia Charity.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

I have it Verdun got it last year not flowered yet in the garden but was when I got it, it has been growing nicely it is now about 50cm wide and 40cm high in the front garden in ish sheltered area doing nicely the big Mahonia (spikey one) above is flowering now smells really great

Hampshire Gardener
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I've got it too - growing nicely and produced 3 flower spikes in its first summer (deer ate them allimage).  Have now moved it, and am hoping for more spikes this year.

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

When I got it was about 20cm wide and 20cm high was from Hillers, think in a 2ltr pot

I like the foliage nice fan shape leaves and nice and soft compared to the spikey leave on the other one

That is a shame Chicky think we got that plant near about the same time as each other  

Hampshire Gardener
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Very pretty, feathery foliage (which the deer don't eatimage) - i have mine growing in a pot and it is making a very shapely mound.  Will pop out when its light and get you a photo.

oh dear, just realised that the next time I will be home in the light is next Saturday ...how depressing s thatimageimage