London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
12 messages
08/05/2013 at 12:22

Occasionally I plant marigolds in my veg patch.  Sometimes for appearance but also because they apparently deter eelworm and other pests from inhabiting the soil. 

Others do this?  Or anything else?  It's a sort of companion planting ....as one would do in the greenhouse, viz.   marigolds or tagetes with tomatoes for whiteflly

08/05/2013 at 12:30

I put tagetes between my tomatoes, not sure if they do anything though, toms seem to be the same with  or without.

08/05/2013 at 13:35

It's supposed to be effective but I've never done it Verd. I expect it also depends how much you grow and what your own conditions are. Tomatoes are better inside here because of our weather but I've not really had issues with pests....so far 

08/05/2013 at 13:58

I have grown summer savory this year - supposed to deter black fly off broad beans. I fit wasn't for this lurgy they would have been in by now. Will keep you posted.

Tagetes does deter white fly, not sure about marigods though but am tryin them this year as well.

Also bought what DT brown call an aphid mix am going to distribute these among the peas/ beans etc 

I think its all a case of what suits one area may not suit another. As I say will keep you informed

08/05/2013 at 15:06

I always have a few marigolds lurking round the veg bed; they look so jolly and I was told that they keep some pests at bay.

08/05/2013 at 16:58

I plant marigolds in the veg patch, tagetes in the greenhouse for tomatoes and am just about to put tagetes minutiae (sp!) to try & combat some ground elder. Thanks for the tip about summer savory for broad bean - I sowed lots of summer savory seed and I think every one germinated!

08/05/2013 at 17:17

I plant French marigolds around the tomatoes, same family as tagetes. Are you talking about them or calendulas? I also plant basil near the tomatoes and nasturtiums around the broad beans. It all looks pretty and so much the better if there are other benefits. You can eat nasturtium flowers in salads anyway. I meant to sow borage as well, forgot to buy the seed, but not too late I think. The flowers are pretty in ice cubes.

08/05/2013 at 18:59

Im amazed. How did the flowerscubes into those ice cubes? 

Agree with tagetes with indoor tomatoes.  However the former need to be grown well before planting with the latter to help deter whitefly.  I'm sure this works.  Not so sure about combating ground elder though.  

Parsley and carrots need to be apart and I grow shallots or onions as a shield for parsley "carrot" fly.  

08/05/2013 at 22:58

Fill ice cube trays with water, push a borage flower into each cube, put in ice box. Simples!

09/05/2013 at 00:33

Ecky thump.  We Cornish simpletons would never have thought of that busy....!!!

Night all

15/11/2013 at 18:32

i have read that Tagetes Sinata attracts Potato Cyst Eelorm's as they prefer this plant to the potato crop, this pest can lie dormant in the soil for up to 20 years, so cannot be controled entirely by rotation and commonly affects allotments, where potatoes are often grown as a ground clearing crop, with the old haums/ damaged potatoes being added to the compost heap, which may compound the problem.  advice from the experts includes, planting the Tagetes as a companion plant, always using certified seed potatoes, a 4 year( or longer) crop rotation, organic soil improvement prefferably by top dressing and a no dig system, and testing the potato crop in July/August by clearing away the soil from the haulm and checking for microscopic white cysys on the haulm ( if these are found dig up the potatoes a.s.a.p.before the damage ruins the entire crop and cut away infected parts of potato before use, discarding the infected parts in the dustbin rather than the compost heap, and clearing away the potato haulms and the Tagettes Sinata (without laying them on the souil surface) and disposing of these in the bin too. hopefully these measures will reduce the amount of damage, allowing  a decent crop to be grown.

15/11/2013 at 20:30

Marigolds are very good at attracting the hunting insects which prey on the garden pests. If nothing else I seed them all round in spring and it does cut down on the greenfly and other pests. As for eel worm I've not heard of that one but if you are encouraging hunting insects then the knock on benefits will still  be there.

email image
12 messages