Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Meconopsis delight

gurbiangurbian Posts: 10

Really chuffed, my Meconopsis flowered over the past weekend

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Congratulations gurbian. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • gurbiangurbian Posts: 10

As you can see, special horizontal plants!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Well done. image

I love blue meconopsis. Have you seen the display at  Harlow Carr (near Harrogate) down by the stream.? I am stunned by it every time I have been there.

No, i'm afraid i'm a long way from Harrogate (high up in South Wales). I've grown these from seed and it looks like this year 2 out of 4 are going to flower

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Well onr gurbian, it's no mean feat to grow meconopsis from seed and keep them alive long enough to flower!  I think I'll try one more time..

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

These have taken 3 years to flower, but during that time i've done nothing to them. They've not been fed but because of where i live they have had a lot of water! I didn't have any problem with germination, i just followed the instructions on the packet - 2 weeks in the greenhouse and then into the fridge until shoots appeared. I guess i've been a bit lucky

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

So lovelyimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'm envious, I've failed in attempts to grow them. I love blue flowers.

• beautiful- what's your secret? I've tried and tried to grow these from seed without success... bought one in a 9" pot after seeing it on Chelsea Flower show. Hope it seeds itself everywhere without me having to try yet again!