Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mimulus Lutea

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Has anyone here collected mimulus lutea seeds before? I have two upright stems both with a single, last flower at the top. There are brown pods lining each stem further down. I'm trying to gain advice in the event the seeds fall out into the water. But then being a bog garden/water plant, I suppose they are meant to do that? image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I haul it out by the barrow-full. Be careful, it can become an invasive weed.

Devon.

Each to his own and all that, but I hate the flippin' things.

Devon.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Oh I see image And there's me thinking it was a desired 'must have' pond accessory image

if you can keep on top of the dead heading , fine. Although from what you say, methinks it's too late. 

I have to say, mine were here  en masse when we moved here.

The seed all round the pond into the crowns of other plants and into the gravel path. 

Mercifully , they have  a pretty fibrous root system and are easy to spot when they germinate, but I'm not a fan.

Devon.
  • kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

Bought one many years ago when I first dug my pond and have been fighting them ever since. They produce zillions of seedlings every year! image

glad it's not just me then kleipieper

Devon.