London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
7 messages
27/07/2013 at 17:40

Can anyone tell me if there are any mint varieties that have a patent or are registered so you may not cultivate them. I do not want to fall foul of the law as a friend mint told me that ginger mint is registered/patented. Is there a list anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

27/07/2013 at 18:24

Who, precisely, is going to care if your mint is patented?  Do you mean cultivate or propogate?

27/07/2013 at 18:32

You can grow plants which have plant breeder's rights (PBR) restrictions and you can propagate them for your own use or to give away but not to sell for profit without having a licence form and paying a forfeit to the plant breeder.  I doubt very much if ginger mint has such a restriction as it's been around for years and I found a list from a nursery indicating which of its plants have a PBR and their ginger mint listing has none.

27/07/2013 at 19:59

Thank you obelixx.. Do you have details of the list. I would be pleased to know which ones are listed. I want to sell some in a limited way and do not want to pay a fine!

27/07/2013 at 20:27

I should think ginger mint pre-dates PBRs. 

28/07/2013 at 11:08

It wasn't a definitive list.  Just one from a nursery listing their plants and whether or no they had a PBR or an AGM - award of garden merit.   

I expect if you google about a bit you could find a list of PBR plants.  They have to be registered so some organisation will have a list.

28/07/2013 at 11:38

PBRs as they are now go back to 1997. they're for plants that breeders have put money into developing. 

Ginger mint has been around for hundreds of years, is quite variable and unless someone crerates a new stable cultivar from it and gives it a cultivar name there won't be any plant breeders rights. 

email image
7 messages