19 messages
07/11/2013 at 14:26

Just bought a miscanthus which doesn't look too well (going yellowy in places see attched picture).  Should I give it a light feed now and leave it in its pot over winter?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33774.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

The market bus was so late getting to town that this was the only one left for sale and I felt sorry for it.

07/11/2013 at 14:30

I think that's OK Forester, they go brown for winter. I wouldn't feed til it starts growing again in spring

07/11/2013 at 14:40

Looks fine to me. Dont feed it and keep it dryish over winter. Most grasses do not like cold damp feet.[ there are exceptions such as Acorus and some Deschampsia plus others I cant think of at the moment ]

07/11/2013 at 16:13

Thanks Nut & Punk - should I leave it in it's pot or put it in its growing spot in the ground now?

I wish the spell checker worked as I kep leaving letters out of words. 

07/11/2013 at 16:15

If kept in the pot, then a cold greenhouse. If in the ground then raise it a bit so the soil drains. Those 1970's Pampas grass islands with raised earth and stones...works a treat for Miscanthus.

07/11/2013 at 16:32

It's getting dark and cold outside so I have temporarily dug a hole and sunk the pot into it till tomorrow.  No greenhouse I'm afraid Blairs.

07/11/2013 at 17:10

The time to plant grasses is in spring

07/11/2013 at 17:53

You have nothing to gain by plantImg it out now...wait till the spring. When you do plant it make sure you give it good soil that holds some moisture.  Miscanthus  struggle in dry conditions.

07/11/2013 at 18:19

Thanks folks.  Verdun - the soil will be OK moisture wise - but do I just leave it in its pot outside?  I do have a small plastic 'greenhouse' so should I keep it in there although it will be a squeeze as I have several tender things in there already.  Verdun - I sent you a PM but I don't think it got through.

07/11/2013 at 18:28

Forester, Yes got your pm and replied.  You can leave your plant outside......it's not tender.  However, I would dig a hole put plant in its pot in and mound soil around the pot to stop rootball freezing.  The top just dies down and will be fine.  Don't water it, cut it or do anything to it until it warms up,in spring.  It will grow vigorously and prob flower next September 

23/08/2014 at 13:25

Nearly one year on and the miscanthus hasn't improved (see picture).  Should I have cut it down in the spring as it didn't die down as expected (see above message)?  I didn't put it out in the soil  in spring perhaps that was my error.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57415.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

23/08/2014 at 13:36

Probably would have been better to cut it down but it won't hurt it. I should think it's pot-bound by now as well. I's plant it, either now or in spring and cut it back next year

23/08/2014 at 13:41

I thought it might be pot bound too so I just put it in a bigger pot today, but it's not.  I think I will plant it in the garden today as you suggest Nut as it is obviously not happy. Thanks. 

23/08/2014 at 14:35

Sometimes you get a plant that just isn't much good.

Maybe this is one of them

23/08/2014 at 15:23

With nothing to loose I have just pruned out the "ill" looking bits prior to planting in the ground and it looks 100 times better.  Fingers crossed for next year.

I had to give it another chance Nut although I agree with your sentiments.

23/08/2014 at 15:51

I like to give things several chances, followed by a warning, then the compost heap/shredder

23/08/2014 at 16:40

..there's nothing wrong with that plant...it's a gorgeous Miscanthus...probably the variety sinensis 'Zebrinus'...you can see the yellow banding on the leaves, and with that band spacing..it looks like Zebrinus to me..as the bands are closer together in this variety...although there are a few others of this type.... also the leaves turn a pale yellow towards Autumn....as yours are doing there...

...plant in the ground...it's wonderful...

23/08/2014 at 18:56

It looks a little starved to me .  However leave well alone for now but plant out next spring . Zebrinus, at least mine, has dark green leaves ( gold bands of course)  even now.   

Forester, yes for sure, your big mistake was not plantImg it out in spring.  It would have been double that size, at least, and prob would be floweriing.  Miscanthus  don't like to be left in pots like that ESP durIng a hot summer 

23/08/2014 at 19:21

Verdun and Salino - I have been very cruel and naughty to the poor plant to leave it in its pot all year.

I hope by this time next year I will be able to post on here a stunning picture.

email image
19 messages