Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Miscanthus

Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Just bought a miscanthus which doesn't look too well (going yellowy in places see attched picture).  Should I give it a light feed now and leave it in its pot over winter?

The market bus was so late getting to town that this was the only one left for sale and I felt sorry for it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think that's OK Forester, they go brown for winter. I wouldn't feed til it starts growing again in spring

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Looks fine to me. Dont feed it and keep it dryish over winter. Most grasses do not like cold damp feet.[ there are exceptions such as Acorus and some Deschampsia plus others I cant think of at the moment ]

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Thanks Nut & Punk - should I leave it in it's pot or put it in its growing spot in the ground now?

I wish the spell checker worked as I kep leaving letters out of words. 

• If kept in the pot, then a cold greenhouse. If in the ground then raise it a bit so the soil drains. Those 1970's Pampas grass islands with raised earth and stones...works a treat for Miscanthus.

It's getting dark and cold outside so I have temporarily dug a hole and sunk the pot into it till tomorrow.  No greenhouse I'm afraid Blairs.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

The time to plant grasses is in spring

Thanks folks.  Verdun - the soil will be OK moisture wise - but do I just leave it in its pot outside?  I do have a small plastic 'greenhouse' so should I keep it in there although it will be a squeeze as I have several tender things in there already.  Verdun - I sent you a PM but I don't think it got through.

Nearly one year on and the miscanthus hasn't improved (see picture).  Should I have cut it down in the spring as it didn't die down as expected (see above message)?  I didn't put it out in the soil  in spring perhaps that was my error.image