London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
15/02/2013 at 18:24

Hi, can you grow a hellebore in a hanging basket?  It would be nice to see their flowers without having to lift them up each time.

15/02/2013 at 18:36

In my experience hellebores are quite deep rooted, and do like a moistish soil, so I'd be doubtful if they'd be happy in a hanging basket. I quite like snipping off a few blooms and floating them in a bowl of water indoors. And I believe there are some new cultivars which don't have such droopy heads, which might be worth searching out.

15/02/2013 at 18:46

I agree.  They don't like root disturbance either so are best planted out and then left in situ for a few years.    You could try growing them in a raised bed or large trough to reduce the bending but I find most of mine show off their flowers quite well especially after I've pruned out the old and tatty foliage once flowering starts. 

15/02/2013 at 20:37

I can't see a hellebore looking right in a hanging basket.

15/02/2013 at 21:07
Figrat is spot on. Search out hellebores with faces more up-looking. I have several now. Hellebores will HATE growing in hanging baskets...they will just fade away. Try growing them on a bank or slope. Or, the doubles which look superb from the top
16/02/2013 at 12:05
figrat wrote (see)

In my experience hellebores are quite deep rooted, and do like a moistish soil, so I'd be doubtful if they'd be happy in a hanging basket. I quite like snipping off a few blooms and floating them in a bowl of water indoors. And I believe there are some new cultivars which don't have such droopy heads, which might be worth searching out.

Completely agree.

And they look gorgeous floating in water as a table display.

16/02/2013 at 17:11

I suspected as much as I'd never seen it done.  Thanks everyone.  Well I'll just have to get some lovely new ones that face up and increase my collection so that I can put some at the top of the slope and some in a bowl of water.  

email image
7 messages