Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moon Garden Suggestions....

Oakley WitchOakley Witch Posts: 789

I am slowly putting together a moon garden. The idea is that its filled with night scented flowers and plants that attract the evening and night time wee beasties. Foliage can be green, yellowy, variegated or silver. Flowers can only be white. The idea is that when the moonlight hits the bed, it will very slightly glow. What can you suggest to add in to it?

• reb4reb4 Posts: 54

What a lovely idea.

• reb4reb4 Posts: 54

I have looked up Nottingham catchfly and it sounds perfect, however not sure it is very easy to come by.

• Oakley WitchOakley Witch Posts: 789

Hmmmmm image I haven't heard of that one. I will go and have a look on the plant finder here. Thanks Reb4 image

• Rodgy-dodgeRodgy-dodge Posts: 115

Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile'  a compact shrub that grows about 4'-6' smells divine,  also Jasmine this has a gorgeous musky smell in the evening.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Nicotiana sylvestris

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

White honesty, white phlox, white achillea, white campanulas, white shasta daisies, white liatris, white roses but go for simple forms for insects to get at the nectar, white foxgloves, white garaniums, white clematis....................

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Thanks guys. Wow...thanks Obelixx image that's quite a few. I have Phlox, Campanula, Sweet Woodruff, White Ragged Robin, Pom pom primulas, Jasmine, Foxglove 'Alba', Cosmos Purity, Mugwort (not white but very good under your pillow or above your bed for good dreams), white Pansies, Nicotiana 'Jasmine Tobacco' and Chrysanths that I took cuttings from one of those awful flower bunches where they put colouring in the water to make them different colours. Hoping they come white. Am a bit of a plant hoarder so am needing some nice cottagey styles. Which geranium would be best? I have seen some get very leggy???

I think its generally a good idea to add more white to the garden if you work full time and only see it in the evening. As you said, white seems to glow in the gloaming as light fades.

I planted many plants that are shut up by the time I came home from work, and only got to see them at weekends, (assuming it hadn't finished flowering or was raining)

You might get mullein moths if you plant verbascum Polar summer. (very silvery  hairy leaves)

Ahhh. thanks Fidget...that sounds good image