London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 38 messages
26/06/2013 at 23:42

I am slowly putting together a moon garden. The idea is that its filled with night scented flowers and plants that attract the evening and night time wee beasties. Foliage can be green, yellowy, variegated or silver. Flowers can only be white. The idea is that when the moonlight hits the bed, it will very slightly glow. What can you suggest to add in to it?

27/06/2013 at 00:02

What a lovely idea.

27/06/2013 at 00:11

I have looked up Nottingham catchfly and it sounds perfect, however not sure it is very easy to come by.

27/06/2013 at 00:14

Hmmmmm  I haven't heard of that one. I will go and have a look on the plant finder here. Thanks Reb4 

27/06/2013 at 07:21

Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile'  a compact shrub that grows about 4'-6' smells divine,  also Jasmine this has a gorgeous musky smell in the evening.

27/06/2013 at 09:25

Nicotiana sylvestris

27/06/2013 at 09:42

White honesty, white phlox, white achillea, white campanulas, white shasta daisies, white liatris, white roses but go for simple forms for insects to get at the nectar, white foxgloves, white garaniums, white clematis....................

27/06/2013 at 10:55

Thanks guys. Wow...thanks Obelixx  that's quite a few. I have Phlox, Campanula, Sweet Woodruff, White Ragged Robin, Pom pom primulas, Jasmine, Foxglove 'Alba', Cosmos Purity, Mugwort (not white but very good under your pillow or above your bed for good dreams), white Pansies, Nicotiana 'Jasmine Tobacco' and Chrysanths that I took cuttings from one of those awful flower bunches where they put colouring in the water to make them different colours. Hoping they come white. Am a bit of a plant hoarder so am needing some nice cottagey styles. Which geranium would be best? I have seen some get very leggy???

27/06/2013 at 10:59

I think its generally a good idea to add more white to the garden if you work full time and only see it in the evening. As you said, white seems to glow in the gloaming as light fades.

I planted many plants that are shut up by the time I came home from work, and only got to see them at weekends, (assuming it hadn't finished flowering or was raining)

27/06/2013 at 11:00

You might get mullein moths if you plant verbascum Polar summer. (very silvery  hairy leaves)

27/06/2013 at 11:05

Ahhh. thanks Fidget...that sounds good 

27/06/2013 at 11:08

Thanks guys. Wow...thanks Obelixx  that's quite a few. I have Phlox, Campanula, Sweet Woodruff, White Ragged Robin, Pom pom primulas, Jasmine, Foxglove 'Alba', Cosmos Purity, Mugwort (not white but very good under your pillow or above your bed for good dreams), white Pansies, Nicotiana 'Jasmine Tobacco' and Chrysanths that I took cuttings from one of those awful flower bunches where they put colouring in the water to make them different colours. Hoping they come white. Am a bit of a plant hoarder so am needing some nice cottagey styles. Which geranium would be best? I have seen some get very leggy???

27/06/2013 at 13:00

how about some white penstemons? I have found that when my hardy geraniums get too leggy I cut them down almost to ground level. You will see new growth ready to come through at the base. You will get fresh growth and hopefully a second flush of flowers. I have alysum, white and purple, which is gorgeous at night. I also have a rhodedendron which has huge white flowers and the most unbelievable scent. It was here when I moved in and unfortunately I haven't been able to identify it.

27/06/2013 at 13:04

It may be a Rhododendron 'Daviesii'

27/06/2013 at 13:16

Ohhh. good idea  just got delphinium Galahan so will get them in today. Penstemons sound a good plant. On my list...thanks 

27/06/2013 at 13:33

Geranium Kasmir White is well behaved - http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=858 

You could also try Evening Primrose which is a clear yellow but, as it's name suggests, flowers late in the day and attracts moths.

27/06/2013 at 13:35

Evening primrose? Is that the same variety as the healing plant Obelixx??

27/06/2013 at 13:52

Yes

27/06/2013 at 15:37

I've got a blue Eryngium which has an amazing glow in the late evening. Not necesarilly in the moonlight but you know that 30 mins as the sun goes down, it almost fluoresces. 

Might be called hobbit or something if i remeber rightly, i will find the label in my stack later

27/06/2013 at 15:47

Eryngium giganteum, the biennial Miss Willmott's ghost, stands out at dusk. White sweet rocket and white foxgloves I noticed on the last pleasant evening here. 

1 to 20 of 38 messages