11 messages
13/04/2014 at 12:25

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42268.jpg?width=211&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42269.jpg?width=211&height=350&mode=max

Anyone know what these are? The second one has been living in a pot for a year or so, I planted it out last year in the hope I could bring it back to life!

13/04/2014 at 12:34

The first one is a peony - looking at yours, the flowers will be out soon and are fantastic!

Not sure about the second one - need to wait a bit to see the leaf shape.

13/04/2014 at 12:52

Thanks, I also have a larger version of the peony in the front garden, we will be digging up the front garden to make a bigger driveway, will it be suitable to transplant into the back garden? If so what is the best time of year to transplant it?

13/04/2014 at 13:03

Transplant peonies in the autumn - dig plenty of organic matter into the new site then dig up the peony with as big a root ball as possible and plant in, being careful to keep it at exactly the same level  as it was previously.  They absolutely hate being planted too deep and will sulk and refuse to flower.

Otherwise they're remarkably easy plants.

Monty Don wrote a good article here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gardening/article-1179312/Monty-Don-Peonies-heaven.html 

13/04/2014 at 16:19

I agree with Dove.  If you absolutely must move it before the Autumn, then wait until it has flowered and snip off the dead flower heads.  Then transplant as in Dove's advice and water it every day for a week or two, then once a week (even if it has rained) until it dies back in the Autumn.  It will probably sulk though and not produce flowers for a couple of years.

13/04/2014 at 17:26

My neighbour gave me a clump of Peony last Spring............I duly planted part of it (way too deep when I think about it ) and left the other part in an old plastic bowl (along with various other bits and pieces I'd meant to plant and never did ).

Over the winter, the clump I'd planted  was flooded for some weeks and the clump I'd left in the bowl constantly filled with water until I remembered to empty it every so often.

I was absolutely staggered last week to find both clumps looking good and both with nice large flower buds showing. 

I'm certainly not recommending my very slapdash method with this plant...........in fact, I was really just doing my neighbour a favour by taking it......nothing special...just a basic red.  Simply that my garden is a bit bigger than his and I thought I would just stuff it somewhere and not really worry too much.  I have to say I would have been a lot more careful had it been anything special and would have followed Dove and Bob's advice re the correct way to transplant.............I have always understood that they hate to be disturbed and are fussy about the level.

Either the Peony has got us completely under its thumb......demanding this and that....and throwing a sulk when we don't follow instructions or could it be that the modern cultivars just are more demanding ?

OTOH I could just have been lucky

13/04/2014 at 17:56

Foxglove,  could the second pic ever be of a sycamore.  Not v clear from the photo.

13/04/2014 at 19:10

Not a sycamore - the leaves are the wrong shape. Not sure what it is though.

13/04/2014 at 19:18

Whatever the second one is, it's definitely alive and we won't have to wait too long before it gives us a few more clues as to it's identity 

KEF
13/04/2014 at 19:24

As landgirl says, thankfully not sycamore.

14/04/2014 at 00:21

2. Isn't a magnolia is it?

email image
11 messages