London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
18 messages
10/04/2014 at 10:13
This is the first time I have grown morning glory from seed. I am wondering what it is best to climb up. I have a fixed wire mesh attached to a fence that I grow my sweet peas up. I also have a 6ft wooden fence. My question is. What is the best way to grow these. Should I just let them wind their way up the fence with a little help. Grow them in with the sweet peas or grow them up their own frame? Thanks I advance
10/04/2014 at 10:28

I usually make  teepee with bamboo canes - then they wind their way up by themselves and look fantastic 

(I've been told off for calling the cane structure a wigwam - apparently a wigwam is a domed shelter covered with animal skins )

10/04/2014 at 10:31

some sort of mesh they don't like being transplanted and are not as tough as there sister plant bindweed.

10/04/2014 at 10:52

Who told you off Dove?  I always call it a wigwam and they are also advertised as a wigwam!!  It's a wigwam without the cover 

Anyway back to OP, I have just sown my Morning Glory John and was wondering the same.  I'm definitely not mixing in with my sweet peas though and was thinking of doing them up netting against the fence, but now I've read Dove's post I might put them up a wigwam too  Maybe a wigwam in a big planter on the patio area  With Poached Egg Plant at the bottom to feed the invisible Indians......I'm being silly now LOL 

10/04/2014 at 11:04

OL, it was a friend who knows about these things - and once she pointed it out I remembered reading about the difference a long time ago - there's info on here http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-difference-between-a-wigwam-and-a-teepee .

I find that Morning Glory happily wind their way up canes without any need for netting etc as they have a similar climbing habit to runner beans rather than using tendrils like peas. 

10/04/2014 at 11:07

Lets just say you make a tent for your morning glory.

10/04/2014 at 11:21

Canes tied together at the top  

I did actually just google wigwam and the proper definition is correct, as Dove said, however (and this is what confused me!) children's 'tents' advertised as wigwams are what we know as wigwams, so in effect the companies making these 'wigwmans' are teaching us wrong from an early age......no wonder we are all confuzzled!!!! 

10/04/2014 at 11:28
Thanks guys for your advice. I will make a wigwam!! To grow them up. Just need to find a space for that! Or perhaps as suggested I will grow them in pots would look great on my patio. Do they prefer full sun all day or can the be partial shade?
10/04/2014 at 11:34

I'm not sure on that one John but I'm hoping it's sun as my garden gets sun all day when it's out 

Wigwams all round then  I am definitely putting mine in a huge pot I have so they will have lots of room.

10/04/2014 at 11:37

A bit of mid-day shade is good, because it sometimes allows the flowers to last more than 1 day.

I am sure you know this but it is too early to be planting them outside, as they are very cold sensitive. Even when they are inside being next to a cold window at night can damage the foliage. I dont plant them out till June.

10/04/2014 at 11:48

If they are planted out too soon the leaves go white!!!  Poor things, they look very poorly when that happens.  

when I only had a tiny back yard I grew them in large pots of  MPC up a cane structure (call it what you will ) - they were happiest shielded from the midday sun but can cope with it if they get plenty of water - they are thirsty. 

10/04/2014 at 13:50

Not only are they sensitive to cold but the slugs and snails love them, so provide really good protection from the minute they are planted. I often take the base and top off a plastic bottle and put that around them.

10/04/2014 at 13:58

Going to train mine up a totem pole

10/04/2014 at 18:14

I agree, don't even put them in an unheated greenhouse. The two trays I did that with are now all looking yellow and sad whereas the third tray which is still in our lounge are going mad.

10/04/2014 at 18:45

Mine are in the GH inside bags, I thought I read they could go in the GH??  I'm sure one is starting to germinate too and only sowed them at weekend, but the temp hasn't gone below 6c this week.

10/04/2014 at 19:00

I've brought them inside....silly me, hope I've not damaged them 

10/04/2014 at 19:02

I had some self seed in my tiny inner city yard - they'll probably survive OL, but they will sulk while it's not warm enough for them. 

10/04/2014 at 19:04

A but like me now then Dove 

email image
18 messages