Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Morning Glory

artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I've searched Morning G. threads and can't find the answer; should I pinch out the tops? And while we're at it, can you suggest any other plants that should be 'pinched out'? I've just done it to the Cosmos and they seem to like itimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Never thought about pinching out the annuals artjak. Maybe I should do my cosmos and the larkspur. That's all, any others are still in their packets and may or may not be direct sown. That depends on whether I get their patch cleared in time to get them in.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I read somewhere that Cosmos should be pinched out; I didn't last year and they were tall and spindly. Am hoping they will be bushier this time.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Tall and spindly and falling over (it's windy here) are what I expect from cosmos. I will pinch out.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I wouldn't pinch out Morning Glory myself - I've found them to only produce a single shoot to replace the one taken out, so all that happens is they're slowed down.

Very many modern seeds will bush on their own - last year, and awful lot of things were spindly because of the poor summer.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I never used to pinch out Cosmos but I heard MDon saying that you should pinch out when planting them out, so I may try this year.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

They have been out every day and in at night; I think I treat them the same as tomatoes - it is going to have to be pretty warm before I let either go 'clubbing' i.e. staying out all night.

Verdun, I will do serious research with pinching out some but not othersimage