Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mother in law tongue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
The user and all related content has been deleted.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Mine just grow and grow  - I keep them bone dry in the winter and water probably about once a month in the summer. Most of the time they're above a radiator in a west-facing window. I put them outside in the semi-shade to get rained on for a few days in the summer.  They flower from time to time.  

I shall have to split my big one soon - the pot it's in is so mishapen as it's forcing it's way out of the pot.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I think all houseplants like a bit of time outside (summer usually) if the conditions are right. It is a bit like giving them a holiday to get fresh air etc. around their leaves.

Last edited: 31 July 2016 10:35:28

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Dove, what depth of pot is best?  One of the carers brought me one a while ago but the leaves are now about 14 inches and not staying upright.

SW Scotland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Having seen yours hollie hock, I realise that mine is ok but I will put it into a deeper, narrow pot.

SW Scotland