London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
5 messages
30/09/2013 at 23:15

I bought a few hundred English bluebell bulbs which arrived a couple of weeks ago. I left them in an open cardboard box in the outhouse since then and today got them to plant them in my front garden. I did notice that the bulbs had small patches of greenish-bluish mould on them. the bulbs themselves were nice and firm and it seemed like the mould damage is only superficial.In the box there were also other bulbs such as crocus and snowdrops but they were not affected.

Is this a known problem with bluebell bulbs? Will they be ok?

I also read somewhere that snowdrop bulbs should not be left to dry. May I asl what does that mean? My snowdrop bulbs had white flesh underneath the brown membrane (a bit like an onion). Are they ok too?

Sorry about all the questions but am new to snowdrop and bluebell bulbs.

30/09/2013 at 23:20

I'd just plant the bluebells, they're pretty tough and likely to be OK.

Snowdrops don't like to be out of the ground and dried out. They are usually sold with leaves still on after flowering 'in the green'.

How well they do will depend on how long they've been out of the ground. Plant them asap, water them in and hope for the best

30/09/2013 at 23:21

If the mould will just brush off then they will be ok. I assume they have been recently lifted and not fully dry.

Snowdrops  need to be planted as soon as possible. the longer they are out of the ground, the less likely they are to establish properly.

30/09/2013 at 23:39

Yeah they were lifted just before being sent apparently. They were bought from Eurobulbs.co.uk. The mould does brush off (in a few of the bulbs it had "eaten" into the top layer of the bulb (1 milimeter).

I have planted all of them today so fingers crossed. Snowdrops at about 6 inch deep and the bluebells at least 8 inches deep. I never though that planting 300 bulbs would be so painful. All watered nicely as well.

The soil in my front garden is quite clayish so I had to dig the holes and replace the soil with compost instead.

01/10/2013 at 00:20

Snowdrops only need to be a couple of inches deep and Bluebells about three inches.

email image
5 messages