London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
6 messages
24/08/2013 at 16:23

I have a beautiful clematis, growing in the ground, which is covered in purple flowers during July and August and it is about 5 years old.  It is now too large and  the flowers are partially blocking the gate.  I want to move it about three foot and would like to know if it is likely to survive and also what is the best time of year to do this.  Thank you.

24/08/2013 at 16:25

I think that if you only need to move it three feet, I'd train it sideways away from the gate rather than dig it up and move it.  

KEF
24/08/2013 at 16:47

I'm with Dove on this one, wouldn't risk moving it unless I absolutely had to.

25/08/2013 at 09:07

I agree.  Just remove, or tie in stems that are in the way of the gate and train all others away from it.   Newt spring when new growth starts, train it in the direction you want it to go, away from the gate.  You have time bteween now and then to provide it with extra framework to support it if needed.

Moving a clematis 3' is pointless and success cannot be guaranteed as they have such deep, fleshy roots and are hard to dig out without doing serious damage.

25/08/2013 at 09:20

Many thanks for your advice on this.  Dove's reply never showed on my thread so don't know how that happened.  Didn't realise clematis roots were so large especially as I have grown two in pots in the past without much root ball, but now I have written that I remember they were not particularly successful and both finished up being destroyed by vine weevil.  So, will act on your advice and be vigilant about training stems next Spring.

25/08/2013 at 09:37

Has Break23 'Ignored' me? 

email image
6 messages