Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moving a Rose Bush

I have a rose bush that is not doing very well and want to move it to a new position to see if it will grow any better.  Not sure when is the best time - now or in the spring.  

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Now, as long as the ground is not frozen or water logged

• Thank you

Will try and get out at the weekend as long as it is not raining.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Best to move a rose when they have no leaves- ie dormant, so now fine. Nov-March often stated. Not when the ground is waterlogged or frosty.  But I have successfully moved 1 of mine in the summer- if done then water, water +++.

Watch that you dont bury the 'graft' on the stem otherwise the parent plant stock will throw up its' own suckers. I'd also cut it back a bit to prevent any windrock loosening it in the ground. Mulch well & it should be fine. J.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Move it now Victoria and to give it some encouragement try adding some Mycorrhizal fungi to the planting hole. This will encourage a better root system.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Mycorrhizal fungi goes by a trade name of 'Rootgrow' if you are not sure what it is. can buy it in B&Q

• Thanks for all the replies