London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
19 messages
14/10/2013 at 17:55

I have a few smallish yew bushes I want to move, their trunks are about the same diameter as a broom.

I have a half yew half skimmia low hedge but the skimmia are not happy.  So I am thinking of transplanting the skimmia and then popping in a few of the relatively well established bushes to fill in.  I know yew can be a bit temperamental to move but it's cheaper for me to move ones I already have as it will cost me about £100 to buy replacements.  

I can't seem to get a straight answer on the best time to move them, today someone told me after the 1st November but before the spring and elsewhere I have read wait for spring.

14/10/2013 at 18:54

sping and autumn are generally recommended for moving evergreens. If you can get them out with a good rootball they'll hardly notice

14/10/2013 at 19:46

Hiya pootier.

I grow a few yews.  I have lost a couple when moved.  However, I've moved several.  

Do you know what varieties they are?  For some reason the dark green, grow in the churchyard, varieties have sometimes died on me.  They were reasonably tall though and I prob was a bit hasty.  How tall are they?  

As nut said, if you can get a good rootball they should be fine.  Now is a good time to do it.  November 1st?  Where did that come from?  

Dig the recipient hole first so you can dig up and plant quickly.  And water well even if it rains and then leave well alone.

14/10/2013 at 21:13

Thank you for your advice, here is a picture to give you a better idea.  The hedge is at the top of the steps you can just see the end of it.  The yew I want to move is kind of hedgehog shaped in the middle of the pic.  

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32457.jpg?width=320&height=350&mode=max

I think it is the churchyard type English yew.

14/10/2013 at 22:04

A good mulch will help too.

15/10/2013 at 08:28

Love your garden Pootler, looks great. Now is a good time to move evergreens though early spring is also good.

My experience is Yew likes well draining soil. They make a good hedge as long as they are away from salt spray from roads (sure way to brown any evergreen). They can do full shade but prefer full sun. I moved some Yew in pots (I was thinking of loose topiary) into the ground a few weeks back. They are much greener and happier looking already as they were bronzing due to lack of water and nutrients. Some bone meal and leaf mulch and they should be happy to move now.

15/10/2013 at 08:49

Be prepared to find extensive roots and try to preserve them. I was surprised at the extent of root when I moved one. I didn't think it had been there long and didn't look any bigger than yours

15/10/2013 at 19:58

Thank you all for your help, I have started taking out the skimmias in anticipation.  From what you say I think the key is the preparation.  I will let you know how it goes!

23/11/2013 at 08:29
23/11/2013 at 09:06

We dug out the yews but unfortinately they didn't make it.  The root ball was too big to put in the space they needed to fill.  So I had to buy some young plants from the GC which seem to be happy in their new home.

23/11/2013 at 10:07

Thanks for the update Pootler - it's always good to find out how things have gone.

Don't know what Abbeyfield Landscapes thought they were doing   Looks like some rather inept spamming to me 

24/11/2013 at 15:35
Chill out.. Not spammers... My question isn't get posted.
24/11/2013 at 15:38

That's fine then   What's the question?

30/06/2014 at 18:12

A follow up on the yew hedges.  I planted them last year and I am now itching to cut the tops off to make them the same size as the existing hedge.  Can I do it now or will it slow the side growth I need for it to fill out?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51132.jpg?width=248&height=350&mode=max

30/06/2014 at 18:45

I would cut them to just below the level of the existing hedge so when they bush out at the top you can cut them back to level with the rest. I'd also take the tips out of the side shoots to encourage sideways growth.

30/06/2014 at 19:33

Yay!  I needed some moral support to get on and do it, I have been wobbling about trimming them for a few weeks now.  On my way now with a glass of wine and some secateurs 

30/06/2014 at 20:23

Are you sure the wine should be before the secateurs pootler

30/06/2014 at 21:28

Yep Nutcutlet, absolutely, I am now sporting a plaster on my left index finger.........  the hedge looks great 'though!

30/06/2014 at 21:29

email image
19 messages