Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moving and re-planting clematis

I have a five-year old clematis (not sure which) on a North-facing, but sheltered wall, which I want to re-position by moving it about five metres along the same wall. When is the best time of year to do this?

• ZenjeffZenjeff Posts: 652

Now as long as it gets around 8 weeks before frost prune it first get as much roots as poss and plant deep , should be fine

• I'm with Zenjeff here, soak the plant first and chop hard back, dig the hole deep, plant then soak it again.

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

There is always the chance of killing it if you move it - have you considered taking cuttings and/or layering to make more plants?

• I have moved several clematis plants.  None of them made it!

• ZenjeffZenjeff Posts: 652

It is important to prune it down to around 18 inch and make sure it is watered regularly it will take time to recover but sometimes you have to give things a go, I had no alternative but to move a 10 year old camellia last June a year later it flowered in spring and as grown lovely new growth! Most said not to transplant in June?

• Easy to move clematis, no problem, so long as you are not referring to the squiffy, airy-fairy, so called Group 2's, which probably would not have survived long on a North facing wall, anyway.