London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
8 messages
30/01/2013 at 21:24

I planted seedlings of Bellis, Sweet William and foxglove in a nursery bed last year to over winter with the intention of planting them into the flower bed this year. They look healthy, although the bellis have holes in their leaves, I thought it was slug damage but not so sure now as slugs don't leave perfect round holes

I'm going to grow veg in their current spot so it will help to know when they can be moved to help me decide what to grow in their place. When is the best time to transplant them? 

Also any ideas as to what may have left holes in the bellis 

30/01/2013 at 21:30

Any time when it's not frozen or completely saturated should do it. If you take them with some soil they won't know they've been moved. 

Can't help with the little holes, sorry. 

30/01/2013 at 21:32
Do you find nursery beds handy ? When do you plant them into there?
30/01/2013 at 21:33
...haven't a clue about pests sorry. Novice !
30/01/2013 at 22:11

Thanks nutcutlet. Means, I can grow pretty much any veg in their place and move them when the flower beds have been mulched, probably in a couple of months. What ever nibbled the bellis did it in about October time.

Bunnysgarden. Found a nursery bed really handy. Grew veg in it during the summer last year and after the crops had been harvested the soil was bare. I've tried unsuccessfully to grow flowers from seed sown in Jan/Feb/Mar but hardy seedlings have done well in GH over winter, providing it's not to sever. So last year sowed stuff which flowered in their second year a month earlier than what it said on the packet (I'm in the North) it's been a bit hit and miss, some stuff didn't get to be planted out but I've also parsley which has over wintered well and there's viola's in the bed along with some alpine strawberries sown late last year.

Think I planted them out Sept/Oct time. 

30/01/2013 at 22:16
I had a lot of cuttings outside still in cutting pots, even parsley ,(further north) now the snow has cleared I'm sheltering in greenhouse with my other flock of cuttings. I will run out of space if I don't do something hence the query. Maybe my spare bed by greenhouse should be nursery bed .....if I can keep dog from paddling around and sniffing everything
30/01/2013 at 22:52

bunnysgarden. I've found growing stuff is a learning curve each time you try something different. There's very little in my GH at present because most stuff I tried died during the winters of 2010 and 2011.

Nothing tried, nothing gained, use the spare bed this year as a nursery bed. Stuff does fair better in the ground rather than in pots if hardy.  

31/01/2013 at 08:48
Thanks zoomer I will have a look at the area which I have never known what to do with , it was going to just be a bed does get the water from the field when heavy maybe raised bed slightly and may have to try barracading that corner though as large paws soon squash things, she doesnt understand ,she just likes to help
email image
8 messages