Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Multi Purpose compost

Has anyone used wilko's own brand? I've just bought a 60l bag half price at £2.50 I figured it was worth a try at that price! 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have used it, and their seed and cutting compost. 

It is OK  but I would hesitate to use it for long term planting. I have used it for potting on.

But then again that is the only thing I have used it for so couldn't say how it goes long term

The seed compost is good draining, it has sand and small pieces of gravel in it. I have had better success using that than some of the others.

• havent used wilko`s own brand i have been using dobbies multi purpose compost i bought  6 x 60lt bags they were 3 for £12 after sieving i lost about one and a half bags with all the rubbish in it and now i have found that below the surfice of the sieved compost it is all dried out this explains some of the seedlings dieing off and slow germination i have now switched to mother earth multi-purpose compost 3 x 70lt for £15 from a local nursery it is differant class the waste per bag is about one handfull.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I wouldn't touch the stuff with a barge pole. Just my opinion image I'd rather put my money towards buying some better quality compost.

You make no savings by buying rubbish - rather, it costs more.

But if you want too buy...

• wrinkly1wrinkly1 Posts: 50

humax .  this is the best i,ve used for years.seeds and potting on is100per cent..seems dearer but is,nt if you get my drift. good luck .wrinkly1

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Get quality stuff for seeds - just think of the seed cost and your time, and the disappointment if your sowings fail, and the cost of late replacement plant purchases from your garden centre! False economy to buy seed compost on price.  

On the other hand, if you are looking at a potting on / bedding plant compost then anything will do I reckon. Any fertilizer will have washed through in 6 weeks anyway and you should then use MiracleGro or the like. All the better if it has moisture retaining beads - saves on watering time, but if not you can buy the beads and add them yourself. 

And if you are looking for a compost for a shrub like a wisteria then use John Innes No3 (Not No 1 or no 2) - packed with long lasting nutrients that don't wash out. Don't be fooled by cheaper multipurpose composts 'enriched with John Innes', it might only be 5% enriched and it won't tell you how much on the packaging. 

• Clear views re Humax here image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.