Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

muscari

DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I have lots of grape hyacinths but now I seem to have two different ones.  There are two clumps of the 2nd one which have appeared this year.  The difference only really became obvious once the flowers started opening.  The leaves did look slightly different as well but.......... 

The usual ones above

and these below

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

I have those, they are a pale blue, muscari Comosum? I think and there are another variety that are bigger than the blue ones and are yellow which I bought a few years ago called Golden Fragrance. You can also get white muscari too, muscari Botryoides Album. I got them all from Taylors at their charity bulb sale which they have in October or November every year.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

There are about 45 species of Muscari to choose from, plus a few hybrids and named forms on top of that.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Thank you GM. My daughter had some pale blue ones last year which I liked but I definitely didn't nick any of hers.  I must have bought these somewhere but I usually label most things and certainly anything new.  What's worse I have no recollection of buying them at all.  Don't think I can manage all 45 species Berghill though I do really like these pale ones.  Might get a few white ones though 

I'll try to get a photo of the yellow ones on here.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've got some of the yellow ones, M. macrocarpum, I think 'Golden Fragrance' is a cultivar. They're a bit shy flowering for me. Do you get many flowers Gardenmaiden?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

There are several types of muscari.   I like latifolium which has larger, two tone blue flowers and broader leaves than the usual kind.    Muscari look lovely planted in drifts.  I've seen them at Keukenhof planted to look like rivers of blue through other bulbs and shrubs.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Wow Obelixx!  That's one of the most beautiful pictures I've seen.  Perfect image

They don't appear to multiply at all Nut. I am always hopeful that one day they might decide they like their location and spread.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks Gm, I've been waiting for some years nowimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Thanks CharleyD.   Keukenhof is quite impressive and changes its display every year.  Here's another muscari river.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato