Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 23 replies

DorsetUK

I have lots of grape hyacinths but now I seem to have two different ones.  There are two clumps of the 2nd one which have appeared this year.  The difference only really became obvious once the flowers started opening.  The leaves did look slightly different as well but.......... 

The usual ones above

and these below

Gardenmaiden

I have those, they are a pale blue, muscari Comosum? I think and there are another variety that are bigger than the blue ones and are yellow which I bought a few years ago called Golden Fragrance. You can also get white muscari too, muscari Botryoides Album. I got them all from Taylors at their charity bulb sale which they have in October or November every year.

Berghill

There are about 45 species of Muscari to choose from, plus a few hybrids and named forms on top of that.

DorsetUK

Thank you GM. My daughter had some pale blue ones last year which I liked but I definitely didn't nick any of hers.  I must have bought these somewhere but I usually label most things and certainly anything new.  What's worse I have no recollection of buying them at all.  Don't think I can manage all 45 species Berghill though I do really like these pale ones.  Might get a few white ones though 

Gardenmaiden

I'll try to get a photo of the yellow ones on here.

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I've got some of the yellow ones, M. macrocarpum, I think 'Golden Fragrance' is a cultivar. They're a bit shy flowering for me. Do you get many flowers Gardenmaiden?

Obelixx

There are several types of muscari.   I like latifolium which has larger, two tone blue flowers and broader leaves than the usual kind.    Muscari look lovely planted in drifts.  I've seen them at Keukenhof planted to look like rivers of blue through other bulbs and shrubs.

Wow Obelixx!  That's one of the most beautiful pictures I've seen.  Perfect

Gardenmaiden

They don't appear to multiply at all Nut. I am always hopeful that one day they might decide they like their location and spread.

nutcutlet

Thanks Gm, I've been waiting for some years now

Obelixx

Thanks CharleyD.   Keukenhof is quite impressive and changes its display every year.  Here's another muscari river.

Gardenmaiden

There are a lot more flower spikes this time Nut. I might have a little dig to find out if there are more bulbs or not.

nutcutlet

I like them, I think I might move them and see if they do better elsewhere

KEF

Never seen yellow ones, I'm envious. Thanks for the photos. 

I know that Happy Marion had some different varieties of blue ones that she posted on her Golden thread last year. 

Advertisement

Obelixx

I like the yellow ones too and will look out for some, assuming my garden will suit them.   Research coming up.

hollie hock

I like the two tone purple and blue ones. I had some white once, they didn't do as well as the blues

Gardenmaiden

No my white ones didn't appear again either. They must need a bit of cossetting.

nutcutlet

I had some white ones years ago but I didn't like them, they had a rigid look to them and didn't flow with the rest of the plants

mine have reached the point of having to be pulled out by the hundreds-after they flower but before they seed-self seeding is, i believe, the way to have drifts of them. the seed heads need to stay on until they fall naturally, so if you are a tidy gardener it may take a while for them to spread. the white are slow but pretty.