Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

fidgetbones

If its got buds on I would wait and see if I like the flower.  It is probable that they are all suckers growing from the rootstock, in which case you will get a wild type flower  like a dog rose.. In that case , exterminate.  Large spade, strong back and plenty of digging.  If necessary get a fit  young male to do the hard work. Worth spending some money to save your back.

fidgetbones

Sounds like a dog rose rootstock. keep cutting it down as low as you can. Eventually it will run out of steam and die. Paint the stump with SBK brushwood killer.

When its dead it will eventually rot and you should not have to disturnb the peony.

fidgetbones

Don't forget the fit young male for the heavy work. You've seen the diet coke ad havn't you?

Fidgetbones that made me laugh!! I actually wanted to ask about a 'rose' too.. inherited what i thought was a rambler poss climber growing through a climbong hydrangea, gave it a fair prune in march,loads of new groth but no buds at all, no thorns either, grows in a kind of candelabra  style, has anyone any idea what this could be? shall i just get rid in winter? Our garden is tiny, can't afford space wasters!

Dovefromabove

Louise, if it is a rambler you might not get any flowers this year as most of them flower on wood formed in earlier seasons  so pruning should be done after flowering - pruning it this spring will have pruned off the flowering wood.  If it is a rambler you might not find out which one until next summer 

Sara, that foliage reminds me of Mermaid http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?=620 a glorious rose - it would be worth waiting to see 

Advertisement

thanks dovefromabove,it's got a second chance...

dovefromabove, re aforementioined 'rose'i've been out looking and even the high shoots i couldn't reach have no buds, there are also 3 puny 'roses' swamped by geraniums in our front garden (that's next year's project wanted to see what we'd inherited...a lot  vbut a mess!))...that have no buds,new growth but no sign of flowers, could they all not be roses at all?

Dovefromabove

Louise, why don't you take some pictures and start a new thread, asking if anyone can identify what you've got - maybe as you say, they aren't roses at all? 

Dovefromabove
Sara 4 wrote (see)

I should be so lucky Dove (mind you, I should be so lucky Fidget bones! ).  It has seven leaves (leaflets?) on its ? big leaves what on earth are bits of rose called? and I thought more than 5 meant it was evil full stop.  The new growth is exceptionally glossy though - I don't know if it was 'almost evergreen'  because it didn't have any leaves until I cut the ivy down.  I'm more than happy to live with its nasty spikiness if it's pretty, which Mermaid certainly is; should I still cut it right back (again) and see if it comes true, or leave it and see what happens?

"More than five leaflets is bad" is only applicable to Hybrid Teas as it would indicate that the growth comes from the rootstock rather than above the graft.

There are loads of other types - ramblers and lots of species roses that have more than five leaflets - my dear mother in law dug out and scrapped the most glorious Rosa glauca the year after father in law died as she thought it was a sucker (she wasn't really a gardener, it had been his garden and she'd not noticed that fantastic rose in the corner fo the garden).  I didn't have the heart to tell her what she'd done. 

Don't cut it back - see if it flowers next summer on the wood it's growing now.  Then you can decide what you want to do with it long-term 

addict

Sara if it does turn out to be a baddy the best way to remove it without damaging your tree is slowly!

Dig around the roots with a fork. Once you have uncovered a root that you cannot pull  cut with a good strong pair of loppers. Do this all around the root ball until the centre can be pulled away. Then deal with each root left in the ground. Time consuming but the only way to do it without damage. 

Dovefromabove

Bending the branches and pinning them down while they're young and flexible may well be a good idea Sara - it should encourage side-shoots to grow, and they're the ones that will flower, so why not give it a go?