Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My fushia looks 'woody'

Hi all this is my first thread. Can anyone tell me why my fushia stems are looking woody towards the roots. The tips are growing nicely (yet minimal flowering) and strong. I have taking a photo but don't know where to post it. Many thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Lynsey. Fuchsias are shrubs, their stems are woody, especially if they don't get cut back in spring

You can post photos by starting with the tree in the tool bar, above where you type, and working from there. It won't work from phones though

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I haven't pruned yet as they are new plants. They were planted a few months ago and we're growing lovely. I have kept them well watered during the hot spells but now they are turning brown.

I did consider pruning but as the tips are still firm and green I thought maybe it wasn't time.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

They sound perfectly normal to me image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• That's good then, I thought I might have had something to do with being in pots as my others have always been in the ground.
  • At first I thought the water was drying too quick in the sun so I they seemed too dry I stood them in water so they could soak it up instead. When would be the best time to prune?
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Keep them somewhere frost free over the winter unless they are hardy ones, and then prune in the spring.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Also Lynsey if you put gravel or shells or such like on the soil around the plant in pot they do not dry out nearly so quick and look nice image