London (change)
Mon 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
21 to 40 of 46 messages
24/02/2013 at 20:35

fabulous!

24/02/2013 at 20:44
That's sounds exciting both to plan and plant. A friend has a few acres of garden space and occasionally I plant up new area for her. I widened a border in my front garden....my pride n joy..last winter and it was great fun selecting plants and deciding combinations so I sense you will enjoy all that too.
24/02/2013 at 21:46
shy of showing your garden ...and now something to be proud of

Pleased to see pics , now we need more;)
24/02/2013 at 22:17

Fabulous garden! Thanks for sharing

24/02/2013 at 22:28

Dove I have a Rose Glauca - has been in for 18months and I have to say bit disappointed with it at mo. It may just be a slow starter

24/02/2013 at 23:05

Hurray, at last, Verdun's garden - and well worth waiting for. I was beginning to wonder whether he'd read all that great advice, but no it's all for real. Superb. Why were you so shy?

24/02/2013 at 23:42
Hiya busy lizzie.....not really shy as such, just bbbbbbbbit bbbbbbbbashfull. No, it's not my style but I see the need to share gardens and ideas and I have a passion for plants as many do on this forum. I think my front gardens best so may post pics of that later. Thanks for all those kind words though folks
24/02/2013 at 23:45

Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

25/02/2013 at 06:40
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

Dove I have a Rose Glauca - has been in for 18months and I have to say bit disappointed with it at mo. It may just be a slow starter

I've not grown one before, although I've coveted others - I think you're right, they're slow to get away, the ones I've seen have been in mature gardens - I shall have to be patient - I just want that wonderful leaf colour to plan the colourscheme around 

25/02/2013 at 07:55
Look forward to more pics .
25/02/2013 at 07:55

Verdun, your garden is an inspiration! It looks mature - how long has it taken to achieve it? Are there any mistakes you make along the way that others could learn from?

25/02/2013 at 08:09

Verdun, you should be proud of that garden, its heavenly.. Well done for all your hard work and don't be bashfull. I'm sure its made a few people feel slightly inadequate as it certainly has with me, but thats not a bad thing, its seeing gardens like this that makes me want to carry on and create something similar. One question though, are you at it full time?  

25/02/2013 at 08:40
Morning gardening grandma. Yep loads and loads of mistakes. The temptation to plant things I "liked" but without any regard to whether they were suitable or not. Now, I try to give the right conditions to each plant so each one,thrives. Impatience so cutting corners always causes problems so now I try to take the time to think a little more. That part of the garden is prob 10 years old and it really is very low maintenance. Right now it's full.of hellebores but when these are over that summer picture emerges, with the addition of a few tender perennials. Although maybe costing little more, it's best to plant a few quality plants than a load of cheap space fillers..viz., If there's a plant you want look at the varieties and get the variety you really want.....e.g. Don't just get any old astrantia, look at the newer ones and plant one of those so that you get the colour you really want. Better to fill spaces with annuals for a year or so whilst you build up your knowledge of plants, your soil and your comditions. Oh! Dont over plant for one season.....choose good plants to cover all seasons. Hope that doesn't sound pompous....gardening isnt meant to be too serious!
25/02/2013 at 08:56
Discodave, no gardening is a passion....or plants are....but I'm a lazy gardener too so don't spend too much time in it so annuals, apart from pots, are excluded. I guess lawn mowing occupies as much time as anything else in growing aeason. Plenty of mulching in autumn to keep weeds down and growing plants that should thrive helps to keep maintenance down. I can't paint, sculpt, make things so maybe gardening is my chance to be "creative" discodave.
25/02/2013 at 09:04

OK, so now I feel inadequate!

Looks amazing!

25/02/2013 at 11:20

Just caught up on Verdun's pictures and garden-well done -looks really nice-have you considered opening it to the public?

25/02/2013 at 11:25

Thanks for your response, Verdun. It is the kind of garden that makes sime of us feel inadequate, but a great example of what can be done. I have noted your advice about choice of plants. Was your garden 'designed' or did it just develop from year to year?

25/02/2013 at 11:28
What a lovely garden. Very envious. Makes mine seem less than perfect. Does give inspiration though. My garden is not flat either. So good to see how you have coped with this.
25/02/2013 at 11:29
Dovefromabove wrote (see)
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

I've not grown one before, although I've coveted others - I think you're right, they're slow to get away, the ones I've seen have been in mature gardens - I shall have to be patient - I just want that wonderful leaf colour to plan the colourscheme around 

Dove at this time of year the stems have a reddy/purple tint with a grey haze aswell so colour interest there as well. tried to take photo but not shown up sorry

Yes Verdun I was wondering if you open, it is beautiful

25/02/2013 at 12:17

These pics are fabulous, do you open your garden? NGS?

21 to 40 of 46 messages