Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mystery plant in our new garden

We’ve just moved to Devon and now have a lovely, large garden that is south facing and quite damp, having a tiny stream running through it. It has a lot of the plant I’ve attached a photo of. It seems to be evergreen and has hairy red stems and pale undersides to the leaves. Does anybody know what it might be. It’s rather invasive. Thank you!image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's one of the Rubus species sold as groundcover. Can't remember the species name, someone will

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251

Great photo! I wish all pics posted on this forum by people asking for ID were as full of relevant details. image

Papi Jo says:

Great photo! I wish all pics posted on this forum by people asking for ID were as full of relevant details. image

See original post

I agree. 

I think maybe Rubus tricolor

• I think Nut is right, the plant is very invasive but can be pruned very hard tough as old boots.

• Thank you everybody. That’s definitely it. Will prune hard and look forward to the fruit next year.