London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
16 messages
22/12/2013 at 14:59
Hi everyone, You have helped me out before so hopefully you can help again. I just moved to a new house with lots of lovely plants. However the front border is filled to the brim with these lanky prickly plants with large round red berries. The berries almost look like mini tomatoes, and the fine prickles on the branches are so sharp! I think I will cut them all down but want to know what they are first. Any ideas? Please help!
22/12/2013 at 15:03

prickly with berries - at this time of year one thinks holly!...or a pyracantha?

if you can upload a photo we may be able to help.

Do the birds like the berries?

22/12/2013 at 15:20

I'd need a photo as well.

Have the plants still got leaves?

KEF
22/12/2013 at 16:47

Whatever they turn out to be don't cut them now the birds will have the berries . "Large" berries I would also have said Pyracantha / Escallonia...wonder if they are Rose hips.

22/12/2013 at 17:13

Rosa rugosa is quite tomato like.

22/12/2013 at 18:03

Yes, I agree - sounds like Rosa rugosa. I've got a lovely hedge of this, the perfume is out of this world!

22/12/2013 at 19:56

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay in posting a photo...here it is. After some googling I think it is probably Rosa Rugosa. (thanks to, landgirl100 and nutcutlet) It sounds like a really nice shrub. I'm just worried about my 1 year old hurting himself running around in the front garden. It would be such a shame to chop down something like this though. I need to think long and hard about it. 

Thanks again for being such a huge help again. I have moved into a house with a stacked garden, of which I only know a handful of the plants. So no doubt you will be hearing from me again as spring comes. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35283.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

22/12/2013 at 22:50

Once it's got leaves on it won't look quite so dangerous! But seriously, your little one needs to learn about prickly plants and I don't think you'll have a problem with injury - it's like teaching them about hot things etc. My sons never hurt themselves on the plants in the garden (they did build a tree house and a friend fell out of it and broke his arm, though!).

22/12/2013 at 23:11

yes it's knowledge of what's safe to touch (or eat) and what's not that is really important.....and a bit of country lore, like the recognition of dock leaves when you've just discovered what stinging nettles can do.

23/12/2013 at 09:09

Yes I suppose you are right. My little boy will need to learn about prickly plants at some point, might as well start him young.

Would I be okay to chop down some of the taller parts of the plant right now or should I wait until early spring?

23/12/2013 at 09:37

I would leave the hips for the birds, and then prune down hard in Spring.

23/12/2013 at 10:53

Thanks fidgetbones, will do. And thanks everyone for all your help!

23/12/2013 at 13:53

I saw a most wonderful over grown neglected rose bush with the biggest hips I have ever seen and it looked like baubles on Christmas tree it was lovely although it could look  a mess come summer.

23/12/2013 at 14:16

I have small hips on a Rosa filipes, but the blackbirds are working through them at the moment.

23/12/2013 at 15:09

On the roadside near Beccles, just before the river bridge to the Broads, there's a hedgerow of wild roses absolutely covered with the biggest and most brilliant vermilion rose hips I think I've ever seen - I look forward to them every time I drive to see the Aged Ps.  

If you hear of a woman in a convertible floating down the River Waveney you'll know that I took my eyes off the road for just a little too long 

23/12/2013 at 16:43

lovely image Dove!

right now you could float down the road outside my house without taking your eyes off the road!

email image
16 messages