Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

Plants

Mystery Purchase- Beautiful..dusky maroon umbels

Actaea (Bugbane) Cimigfuga- looks like Angelica gigas?????

Jump to latest post

1 to 9 of 9 replies

dizzylizzy

Bought this plant last year at a North Yorkshire plant fair- Actaea (Bugbane) also known as cimigfuga- but is it Actaea?  Looks like Angelica stems and flowerheads in colour & formation but are flatter than the domes of angelica, more like the flowerhead shape of Cow Parsley. The leaves resemble those of a rose 3s and 5 s- see the left near the bottom,.It has grown to 7ft tall with lots of beautiful dusky maroon umbels- just opening now..............Look forward tot he experts opinion...

Actaea is Baneberry which should grow to two or three feet high, Alba or Red, fluffy flowers and poisonous berry's.
This plant is probably a hybrid and with this years weather could have sprouted beyond its potential. Likes shaded conditions and peaty soil, it has found its ideal position. I sugest you approach it whith a whip and a chair.

Frank.

Gracie5

It also looks very similar to Euportorium Maculatum.

Berghill

Yep, definitely looks like Eupatorium to me too.

OK Gracie, never heard of it, are you thinking of Eupatorium "Joe pye weed" it is a semi shrub and likes some shade and damp although they are more red-pinkish flowers.

Frank..

Advertisement

Gracie5

Yes, that's the one. Mine is growing very tall and upright as in the picture.

Berghill

My Actaea have gone to fruit, so no flowers to see now, but that is definitely the spitting image of our "Joe Pye Weed" Eupatorium purpureum

Gracie5

This plant was featured on GW tonight. It's Angelica gigas 'purple Angelica'.  Very beautiful and covered in flies! 

dizzylizzy

Many thanks for your replies- Monty Don fetured it on Friday- what a coincidence- and yes it is a Angelica gigas- so will hopefully be able to grow more from seed for next year!  Highly recommend this beautiful plant and the bees & flies love it too