London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
18/11/2013 at 14:28

Very lovely poppy. It does goat my goat a bit that they sell these foreign non-natives giving the impression that they're natives though. I wonder what benefit it really has compared what the average Joe would grow in their garden anyway. I'm not against the mixes per se but I think they shouldn't market them as 'wildflower' etc. They should be honest and give the consumer the choice. Anyway, a lovely poppy even if not native and a keeper.

18/11/2013 at 15:45
I think thats the one thank you very much everyone
18/11/2013 at 17:51

Wild is wild whether it's native or not.   The key thing is that the plants are simple rather than double so accessible to insects and have nectar and pollen rather than having been cultivated and bred to sterility.

18/11/2013 at 17:58

there were a few different types of ornamental poppies and i had thousands of seeds from them unfortunately due to my inexperience i put them in a plastic bag and they went moldy

18/11/2013 at 18:06

with a bit of luck, some will have self seeded about a bit, and will come up next year.

18/11/2013 at 18:46
18/11/2013 at 22:41
obelixx wrote (see)

Wild is wild whether it's native or not.   The key thing is that the plants are simple rather than double so accessible to insects and have nectar and pollen rather than having been cultivated and bred to sterility.

Yeah, I understand. Put it this way. Nelly, wants to do her bit for British wild flowers and wants to recreate a little piece of the South Downs in her garden. Not being experienced she buys one of these mixes. She puts a lot of effort into getting the meadow right only to find out when she got the kids involved to identifying these wildflowers that they're not wild and they're not British. That poppy, lovely as it is is a garden hybrid. Now, that's great if that's what you want. But labelling them as wild meadow mixes is, I think, misleading. I hate dissection and I will always speak out against it. Again if you want to grow South African meadow plants or American meadow plants thats fine it's your choice. But if you want to grow British meadow plants and you're sold South African plants I think you'd be pretty ticked off and I'd be ticked off for you. 

Labelling should be clear and honest. 

18/11/2013 at 22:52

I agree Jim and also although any nectar will do for bees, a lot of our native insects can't survive without  the right native plants in the larval stage.

19/11/2013 at 09:04
nutcutlet wrote (see)

I agree Jim and also although any nectar will do for bees, a lot of our native insects can't survive without  the right native plants in the larval stage.

Exactly. I wanted to make that point too but didn't want to go on too much. Obviously I hate deception as much as dissection. Now my computer is able to spell check what I type it’s got all cocky and thinks it knows what I’m thinking too.

19/11/2013 at 21:54

Go on as much as you like Jim, everyone else does

20/11/2013 at 08:58

Hear, hear!  

There's lots of nectar-producing plants promoted but a really important thing is to ensure a good supply of the larval food plants for our moths and butterflies !!!

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages