Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

I really like this shrub from a neighbours garden and would like to buy some for my garden but not sure what it is. The photo shown was taken back in feb, now in August it has berries on it which I think may be turning red. I thought it looked like a Sarcocca or some kind of holly with smooth leaves but im not very knowledgeable on plants so any ideas please let me know. Many thanks!

Could it be a skimmia?

thanks hogweed, I think that must be it

You could ask your neighbour if you could take cuttings from her shrub - I'm sure she'd be more than happy to oblige.

I wonder if it might be a smooth-leafed species of Holly called the Camellia leafed holly, the ends of those leaves look very spikey. I found this on google, and it does look awfully like it:-

I have doubts about the skimmia, the leaves are too dark a green. pandp's suggestion seems more likely

Thanks everyone, i've taken some cuttings and will consider buying a Camellia Holly as this looks to be it. Cheers!

I thought it looked slightly Osmanthus-y but they don't have berries. Most skimmias don't really look dark and glossy like that and the habit doesn't look right either unless it's  been pruned.

It's a lovely looking shrub Olybobs - glad the girls have got the ID for you 

Would love to see a pic of it with berries on - love the glossy green colour!

Hope you have success with the cuttings, Olybobs!