Start a new thread

Yesterday I saw some lovely small trees in a council yard. The leaves were prickly and shaped like a holly leaf but slightly less green. They were in bloom and had a profusion of yellow flowers which were upright and rather conical. Beautiful and stunning! Would anyone be so kind as to tell me the name of this lovely shrub/tree? I definately would like a few in my garden.

Thank you.

Lilylouise
I agree with Geoff and Dove
Pam LL x

Advertisement

Huntertony
Hmmm, sounds a bit like our Oregon Grape bush (which I think is a Japonica).
nutcutlet

Go to a GC and smell them. Some are better scented than others. Aquifolium has a lovely scent but is unlikely to be used in a council planting, it's not showy enough. Mahonia 'Charity' is often used. 

Thank you everybody. Looks like a trip to the GC to look at the Mahonias. Thanks again. Much obliged.

Huntertony

Anyone know how you can tell the difference between a Mahonia Aquifolium and a Mahonia Japonica? I have one of the two in my back garden (loves part-sun, part shade!).

nutcutlet

I'd have to see it Huntertony. Have you a photo. They're very different

Huntertony

I'll try and load one up this week.

ThaiGer

I think mahonia japonica is like our mahonia siamensis ; at first light yellow blossom and later the blue grapes (thai holy grape): look

Alan4711

Dovefromabove i just checked your info on that site for mahonia they really are smashing ,japonica and winter sun are on my list ,youv done it again Dov many of em Alan

Huntertony

Right, taken some piccies of my Mahonia something. Anyone know which type this could be? 

Advertisement

Huntertony
Any ideas on the above? Might well be mahonia aquifolium...
Huntertony

Thanks Chilli Lover. When we had a warm, sunny day last week, we had hundreds of bee's swarming the Mahonia... I should have taken a picture!