Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mystery sprouting bulbs - can they be moved?

Hey guys. Just moved into a new house, and in the process of removing some invading plants discovered these lovely things! My question is can I move them now? I'm worried that if I wait until they finish flowering I'll never find them again!

• Hi image

I can't see what they are from here, possibly bluebells.  I wouldn't move them now - you run the risk of losing the blooms.

However, as soon as they've flowered dig them up and move them, planting them nice and deeply.  They'll be fine. 

Don't worry, the leaves will be there for a while after the flowers die off so you won't be able to miss them. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Unless you want to clear the area let them flower there. You can move them as the leaves brown. I have moved bulbs at that stage and sometimes they carry on as if nothing has happened. But sometimes they don't flower

Some sort of narcissi I thinkimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

You can always put a plant label next to them, as a marker.

• Do any of those tall hollow dead stems appear to be coming from where the new leaves are appearing?  If so, you might have something really nice like nerines. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The other thing to remember is ... they might be growing in an area that is just right for them - the right amount of sun/shade etc.  So before moving them, take a while to consider ... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.