London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
6 messages
04/02/2014 at 17:25

In the school grounds opposite my house is a small Sorbus about 3mtrs. It is still covered in very pale pink berries even in February . Any ideas what it might be. Also I have a Sheerwater Seedling Sorbus in my garden which is a bit of a disappointment to me. It has been there for about 7 years and is growing well but has no Autumn colour at all. The leaves turn dark brown and fall. It was recommended for is colour . What`s gone wrong?

KEF
04/02/2014 at 17:29

Hi Vivien. Could you post a picture of it for us?

04/02/2014 at 17:51

Apparently, so I have read,  the birds tend to leave pink berries until there is nothing else to eat.

This however strikes me as illogical as trees want their seed to be distributed and therefore try to make their berries appealing to birds.

04/02/2014 at 20:11
Could be Sorbus ''Pink Pagoda'', I have one in the garden & it's still loaded with berries, the birds are slowly clearing it.
04/02/2014 at 20:57

I believe they eat them in order Vivien - red, then orange, then yellow. They leave the pinks and whites till last, so unless it's a really cold winter many won't be eaten at all. ' Sorbus Vilmorinii' is another popular variety with pink berries.

You're right pd. Fussy beggars aren't they!

04/02/2014 at 20:57

Agree on Pink Pagoda - you can take the fruits and grow them by removing the tiny seeds and putting them in a pot now.

email image
6 messages