London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
9 messages
19/05/2012 at 22:41

Hi,

Please can someone tell me what this is?

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7800.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

I took some cuttings from one in a park so it'd be nice to know what it is and whether it'll survive.

Thanks

19/05/2012 at 23:15

It's a Euphorbia. Looks like Euphorbia x martinii. Be careful when handling it as all Euphorbias have a milky sap that can irritate the skin.

19/05/2012 at 23:17

Thanks for that, much appreciated!

19/05/2012 at 23:19

Hi Rob

I think you'll find this is Euphorbia Martinii, which is a drought tolerant perrenial. The milky sap iritates the skin, so wear gloves when cutting. Propergate from basal cuttings in the spring. Plant in well drained soil in full sun.  Protect in the winter.

Regards

Andy

19/05/2012 at 23:23

Beware!

I had this attractive plant ,  it seeded  itself all around my garden -  

19/05/2012 at 23:32

oh great.. as I was unable to load my photo so I could not ask the question of .. What is it.!!. now I know.. its a euphorbia... have had it in the garden about 3yrs but this year was 1st time it flowered but unlike Robs mine has no red bits in flowers.. just green. I am in s/east & it survives all weathers..

19/05/2012 at 23:33

Thank you for the responses. The cuttings I took were stem cuttings, so I'll have to see how they turn out. It's very pretty, so  I can live with it self seeding!

19/05/2012 at 23:42

me too.. was well happy to see the green flowers.. I have seen another growing beside it.. plus plenty seed pods so am going to leave them to do what nature does best..

not seen my garden soo full of stuff this time of the year.. the rain has made everything sprout up.. I have flowers/veg & this year have just planted a sunburst cherry plus a grape vine under out what I call a lean too.. not covered in but sheltered.. have to let you know how they do.. thats if the birds dont get cherries 1st.. ha haa

20/05/2012 at 10:53

You may have to cover your cherry - not from frost but the birds! I have a cherry not sure which one, had it for 4 years. Got it from Morrisins supermarket. Each year it increases the fruit - but the birds beat me to it . We call it the ' Birds Cherry' ! Ha Haa, as we have lost the tag. But on performance the Birds Cherry describes it presicley. Good luck with yours!!!

email image
9 messages