London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
15 messages
09/06/2013 at 13:08

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25121.jpg?width=268&height=350&mode=max

The side parts of this trellis are 60cm wide, and the centre part is 180cm wide.  It is 150cm tall.  The right is in a more sunny position, the left more shady.

I planted 3x clemaitis hoping they would cover the trellis and although they are very beautiful, they aren't providing the coverage I wanted.  I'm not sure if they will get any bigger; this is their first year in my garden and they haven't gotten as tall the accompanying info said they would.  In case anyone is interested, from left to right Angelique, Parisienne and Oh La La.

I've planted some trailing plants in buckets at the top but these will need replacing each year.

I want an evergreen plant that will smother this trellis   I'm not sure what else I want from it - pretty flower, nice smell, attractive leaves...show me your favourites?

09/06/2013 at 13:20

It's not clear from the photo whether all three are planted in pots like the middle one, or whether they're planted in the soil with the lawn over their roots.

If you want your plants to grow big and healthy enough to cover that trellis, they need a proper flower bed at the base of it to get their roots into - this will enable them to be properly fed and also mulched to conserve the moisture in the soil - at the moment the poor things are either having to compete with the lawn or are planted in such tiny pots that it's a wonder they're still alive poor things.  

09/06/2013 at 13:59

Agree with Dove - get them in the ground (in a nice deep hole, filled with compost) if you can.

They look like Group 2 (early large-flowered) types, so will continue growing after flowering and should have a second flush later in the year.  Once the current flowers finish, cut each flower off and they will sprout new sideshoots from just below the flower stem.  Group 2 types aren't pruned back much, so they will cover a larger area next year.  In early spring, starting from the tip of each stem, work backwards until you see a pair of healthy looking buds and cut the stem just above them.

09/06/2013 at 14:01

The side two are in the ground, the middle one is in the pot, which I am aware is not large enough.  I am planning to put it in the ground later.

I don't have a proper dug out bed there, and don't want one but I am careful to keep everything well watered.

EDA - They are "patio" clemaitis which are supposed to flower for a long period, May - October.  The instructions are to cut back to 30cm at the end of flowering.

09/06/2013 at 14:21

But there's more to where you plant things than just watering.  Clematis like their heads in the sun but their roots in the shade - if you plant them in the ground you can mulch the soil to keep their roots cool.  If their roots are in a pot in the sunshine they're likely to get too warm.  Also too much watering can drown the roots - they need aerated soil around them too.

If you are going to grow clematis in a tub, they need a large tub filled with John Innes No 3 - I find that multi-purpose compost gets cold and claggy when used for plants in tubs long-term.

Also, patio clematis are unlikely to grow big enough to cover that trellis, but there are lots that will. Have a look here http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/ 

Good luck 

09/06/2013 at 14:26

Thanks Dovefromabove, the two side clemaitis are planted behind the trellis and I have used small stones to cover the roots, so they should be well shaded.  The one in the tub is coming out soon but I'll bear in mind the JI3 for anything I put in a pot in the future.

I had considered another clemaitis for the rest of the trellis but I have heard the evergreen ones are not truly evergreen and can look quite unattractive at times, so I am looking around for other options.

09/06/2013 at 14:30

Have you thought about a rambling rose or two with the clematis clambering over the rose or honeysuckle even.

09/06/2013 at 14:42

Hi Fred, I agree, I think rambling roses and honeysuckle with the clematis clambering through them would be wonderful - but rambling roses would need to be planted in a bed wouldn't they?  And honeysuckle would be prone to mildew if in a tub and at risk of drying out 

09/06/2013 at 15:48

Sorry, I somehow missed the fact that you gave the names your first post (it's what comes of nipping in from gardening for a few minutes for a cup of tea!)  Nevertheless, they are indeed Group 2 so can be treated as I advised.  You would only cut them back to 30cm in their first year, to help develop more stems from the base, unless you were indeed growing them in containers.  Here are your clematis on (the best, in my opinion) clematis site on the web:

Angelique:

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=2968

Parisienne:

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=2973

Ooh La La:

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=3372

The first two will reach 1.5-2m, but Ooh La La will reach 1m max, according to the Hull university site above.

As others have said, probably best to consider a mix of climbers if you want the whole trellis covered.  I grow a few Winter-flowering evergreen Clematis Cirrosa "Freckles" which can lightly cover a large area, have small pretty leaves and are easy to control/look after (just cut off any stems growing where you don't want them - simple!)  I grow Group 2's through them.

09/06/2013 at 17:40

Depending on orientation and your soil, you could plant a climbing hydrangea. Soil needs to be neutral or lowish PH and I'm not sure if it'd take too much sun. What do others think? Mine's well established up the front of my north facing house so it's cool but then not so cold as to shed its leaves in winter. Evergreen (here in the South East) and fast-growing, very pretty thro long flowering season. Like Bob, I also have clematis 'Freckles' out back which brings winter cheer 

09/06/2013 at 17:55

Climbing hydrangea isn't evergreen though the similar schizophragma sometimes is.. You might consider trachelospermum jasminoides. Evergreen, scented and pretty happy to combine with clematis.

09/06/2013 at 19:05

Someone on another thread asked for something similar and I think it was Buzzy Lizzy suggested Trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine). Apparently it is scented and evergreen.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25160.jpg?width=583&height=350&mode=max

09/06/2013 at 19:11

Thanks for all the suggestions -

I've heard evergreen clemaitis can look a bit sorry for themselves in the winter, so probably ruling that out

Jasmine needs frost protection, not sure if I'm willing to get outside and give that much attention in the cold!

Hydrangea is an interesting option but I don't think the soil is suitable and I don't have much space to dig around

So rambling roses or honeysuckle   Leaning towards honeysuckle, but which is easiest to care for?

09/06/2013 at 19:49

This jasmine is hardy, it's not the same as the one you buy in the supermarket. Have a look at this description from the RHS:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1939

12/06/2013 at 13:15

I went to the garden centre yesterday and saw a trained Ceanothus that was just perfect   I'm putting the clemaitis in the ground and putting them in the ground today - more pics later!

email image
15 messages