Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Named Roses

Please could anyone advise me if there is a rose called Martin. I've tried to find one through web sites and garden centres but so far drawn a blank.  I'd like to buy one for the garden to commemorate my husband's 60th birthday.  If there iosn't one his middle name is Terence, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

• Sorry, the only rose i can find is Martin Frobisher on the david austin site, could you perhaps settle for a birthday or anniversary rose?

• Thank you very much, good idea.

• pansy2pansy2 Posts: 28

There is one in France called Martin des Senteurs . It is a lovely rose with a very strong fragrance.  It is availale from Jacques Briant but I don't know if they will send to England.  Their web site www.jacques-briant.com

I grow roses with the same name as members of the family too.  You can't always put the plants together as you can get very clashing colours.  I have yet to find a Patricia or a Stephanie though.

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder2.asp?crit=Martin&Genus=Rosa

Surely you've looked here, the RHS Plant Searcher? There are three 'Martins' listed and many more plants with that name. The roses are 'Henri Martin', 'Martin Frobisher' and 'Rémy Martin'.

• LEEBEELEEBEE Posts: 3

sorry havnt got a clue? not my thing although i would love to have them especaily the climbers and the scent at though moment i have window sills full of fruit veg flowers in different stages of growth as i live in a council flat they have errected scaffolding in march and trampled my veg garden and no work has comenced so i am stuck with all my nursery plants that are nearly fully grown up now its so sad.

?

• My girlfriend recently bought a birthday present for her mum,online at Argos. The present was  some Rose seeds and instructions and forms to certify the rose with a name of your choice!!? Pretty damn cool,thinking about checking it out myself.

Cool? No, not at all. This is clearly a rip off. You could simply take a rose hip from any cultivated rose, extract the seeds, dry them on the windowsill, stratify by placing in a plastic bag in dry sand and placing in the fridge for a month, then sow the seeds and place back on the window sill. In a few months you may well have a whole bunch of seedlings. When large enough, sow these in pots. In a couple of years, you will have a number of small flowering plants, almost all of which will be different from each other, and different from their parent rose. You could then make up any name you choose, a bit like naming your dog or cat. If that makes you happy, so be it, but you won't need any fake certificate. These will be your own unique roses which may or may not be worth keeping.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

The present from Argos is intended to be that - a present. Some people think that a present should be something special, and not something home-made, that you've aquired on the cheap. So there is something to be said for having a fancy certificate, even if it has little real authority. You could say that growing your own rose, and having a nice plant to give the recipient, in a few years time, showed how much you care. I'm not convinced of that.

There seem to be several grow-and-name-your-own-rose packages on the market. Amazon are offering at least two. The customer reviews are remarkably polarised. Some customers were delighted and thought the products were wonderful. Others quite the reverse, often because the seeds didn't germinate, or weeds came up; what's new.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000G15WB0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0011E1PBM/ref=sr_1_3_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Gary

Last week I gave a visitor a rose I grew from a cutting last autumn and which is just coming into flower, 'Champagne Moment'. It cost me nothing except for a little TLC and as a gift mean't more to both of us than a packet of seeds bought from Argus.

I am now growing more and more roses from cuttings taken from my favourite roses especially as the recipients really appreciate them.

The roses-from-cuttings are not ON THE CHEAP any more than a homemade cake is 'on the cheap'.  I know my wife's cakes beat anything shop bought.