London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
6 messages
21/04/2013 at 16:20

I have inherited one of these in our garden, Is there anything specific I need to know about it? How do I care for it?

Thanks

21/04/2013 at 18:16

Olivedog, I don;'t think this is 101% hardy which is what things need to be to live here. I can't keep them, but it may be down to my dry soil, I think they like reliable moisture as well, not wet, just more than they get here.

23/04/2013 at 09:20

Thanks nutcutlet, its been here untouched for 3 years and looks fine to my untrained eye so it must be happy with our soil I just wondered if there anything I could do to make it extra happy!

23/04/2013 at 13:04

Bought one yesterday, looks as though I will have to keep it damp. Thanks

23/04/2013 at 13:41

They come from China where they are known as the "Sacred Bamboo" - a lovely thing.  There is one by the Moongate at the entrance to the Chinese Medicinial Herb Garden in the Bristol University Botanic Garden.  I remember the ceremony when dignitaries came from China to plant it.  It seems to thrive on very little attention and always looks good.  It has a mulch of shredded bark round its base to keep down the weeds.  If we had a drght no doubt it would be watered .  Just water it if you see it drooping.  The flowers and autumn leaves are lovely.  Do cherish it.I will see if I have a oicture later.

23/04/2013 at 14:02

Found it.  This was taken 28.05.09 when it was newly planted. - on the left of the Moongate.  Notice how you go down into a Chinese garden as they believe happiness accumulates in the valleys.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22485.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

email image
6 messages