Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nastursiums

Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 152

i want to plant up large pots with buddleias, with nasturtiums growing at the base. I want to shrub that can be cut easily that will attract bees and butterflies so this is ideal. 

Ive several types of nastursium ordered and think they're great for the bees. However, my friend says they're very invasive. Will they be ok in large pots? 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Nasturtiums can self seed quite profusely - keeping them in pots will stop them running riot.  Having said that, they are pretty easy to pull out if they end up in the wrong place, so not sure i'd really class them as invasive

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

I grow them in pots they will seed everywhere but easy to pull out. They grow well in pots. Main problem i had was slugs killing the seedlings and aphids.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Buddleia Buzz are best for pots, don't grow so big.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

They are not invasive in the UK. They self seed in warm weather but they die quickly in frosty weather. If they self seed in the wrong place then you can pull the plant out very easily and that is it gone.

• Jazdean80Jazdean80 Posts: 30

im quite a fan of Nasturtiums, i grow them in baskets, pots and in the ground. I love the way they creep alone the rockery. They are good for wildlife too, and I don't mind the aphids or caterpillars as they're a good good source for birds and ladybirds image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

nasturtiums are only triffid like  if they're in rich soil. If the soil is  light rubbishy soil they tend to flower better and have fewer leaves.

As has been said, they're easily spotted as seedlings and are equally easily pulled out.

Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

As Swiss Sue says, ordinary buddleias are too big for pots. Are you getting dwarf ones, like "Buzz"?

Nasturtiums are annuals so aren't invasive, as has been said, pull up plants you don't want, but there are tidy little varieties like "Tom Thumb". Some are climbers, others aren't.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 152

Thanks guys, I bought in empress of India, cherry rose, and black velvet. Nice variety of colours. I've got a few packs of the mixed non climbing variety from a local store too.  I cut last years buddleias back hard and they are just greening up now. 

Can I not pot them up in a big container? I was thinking if I kept them cropped every winter then I could keep them in pots?

im looking for a wildlife friendly shrub that easy manage and will give some cover along a fence. 

I haven't seen buddleia buzz anywhere. 

I was hoping to plant up buddleia in this type of container. would this work?