London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 67 messages
26/05/2014 at 21:51

I grow plants to be fully appreciated for what they are.  Not with any intention to be "neat".  A nice mounded hebe is spoiled by a thug next door to it for example.  A beautiful conifer overwhelmed by a vigorous dahlia then has no distinct form.  A hosta grown over by an energetic rambling geranium is spoiled.

Some plants look good "mixing it up"........a blue geranium running into a group of rudbekias.......but "neatness" enables  the protected plants to look good in the winter time.

I guess I am a "neat" gardener.  I like to see an echinacea, for example, showing off its flowers......and foliage.....without  another plant merging with it.  Associations can still be arranged....and look better......if space is allowed between them for each to display its own individual beauty.

So, is neatness a swear word for you folks?  If you like your plants tumbling into one another to form a tapestry of colour then I guess you will say "yes....neatness is not proper gardening.  It's not as nature intended"

So, who are the neat gardeners?  Why? And why not? 

26/05/2014 at 22:02

I have always been annoyingly tidy. My wife would say I'm just annoying! For good or for ill I'm always going to be neat in the garden as well. I just can't help myself. I have to constantly resist the temptation to strim the grass in the churchyard down to the ground. Whilst I know it looks just a nice (if not nicer) as a wild flower meadow with just a couple of paths mowed through it and is far better for wildlife it takes me all of my will power not to reach for the strimmer.  

26/05/2014 at 22:03

I'm certainly not neat. In the garden or in my appearance or anywhere that I can think of.

It's not a swear word though. Just beyond my capabilities

26/05/2014 at 22:09
Aim for neatness but doesn't suit my plant greed.
Verdun, any tips on having everything I want ( all usually similar heights!) AND maintaining neatness rather than 'finding a space just about right'???
26/05/2014 at 22:09

I'm not neat. I have every intention,,,, but then the sneaky plants get away from me with their exuberance.

26/05/2014 at 22:11

My garden is small enough to keep neat, although this is still time consuming.

I like to maintain some distance between plants, even if just a few cm, if only for airflow and to stop disease.

I like to see every plant reach its capabilities but sometimes its a little too much so I step in and 'tidy' them up

26/05/2014 at 22:39

Neat?  I'm not even tidy   the under-gardener is forever complaining that I have left a trail of implements behind me as my mind wanders from job to job and I get distracted.  I have this peculiar idea that at some point, the garden will be 'finished'.  And when it is finished, I will tidy away all the stuff that I have left out in the course of doing it.  But the garden is never 'finished'.  I am trying really hard to 'do' tidy.  'Neat' I fear, will be a long time coming. 

26/05/2014 at 22:53

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47131.jpg?width=375&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47132.jpg?width=375&height=350&mode=max

is this what you mean-seriously, de gustibus........

26/05/2014 at 22:58

I am not neat I am artistic, or at least thats what I say I am. I do like a nicely cut lawn edge though, it seems to enhance the messiness of everything else.

I do agree with you Verdun, in that I think certain specimens should be able to stand out from the crowd, but other than that I like the wild look, or the jungle look in the hot border.

26/05/2014 at 23:02

I'm not neat or tidy, probably overwhelmed! An acre of garden & a big veggie plot, housework, cooking, social life, horses, dog and not getting any younger. And I get distracted, I see a weed, not where I was weeding but elsewhere so first bit doesn't get finished and I'm bound to leave a tool behind, always mislaying secateurs. Or there is a rose to smell or a new flower out, then the phone goes and I never do empty that wheelbarrow, well I do when I next need it! I don't even through away potting compost bags, they might come in handy one day. And if tools break they get left in the tiny shed or the lean too in case I get around to mending them. Need a decent outbuilding for all the "stuff";

26/05/2014 at 23:06

Oh Busy Lizzie - that's exactly what I mean!  I have two weed grubbers, and I've lost both of them in this way.  I refuse to pay a tenner for a third one (the other two will turn up when the vegetation dies down in the autumn) but it is not the same trying to wrestle a dandelion root with an old chisel

26/05/2014 at 23:06

David that is one beautiful explosion there!

26/05/2014 at 23:12

This really in my opinion supports our hidden motto.  That we all love gardening.  We each go about in different ways.  Come the end of the day.  No when asked.  No, we don't start saying.  Well thats all wrong.  That should be planted etc etc.  Out of all the trades and professions in the world.  I do honestly believethat gardeners/horticulturists etc. Really do respect each others efforts.  My tiny garden is and always has been a working garden. So the hose is left lying around etc.  During my working life.  I was always busy.  Break times evenn public holidays.  Mike was always looking for ideas and planning.  Particularly at the present time.  My youngest daughter Amanda insists. Dad.  Josh and I will water the greenhouse. You stay indoors.  Oh sweet one you know your dad.  Once in the garden it would be all systems go.  So Mike has to behave himself.......................Well for the time being at least

26/05/2014 at 23:27

Neat & tidy don't know the meaning of the words, distraction now there's a word, i go to bed at night thinking of the main jobs to do in the garden next day, next day comes wonder into garden spot a plant needing pruned, a flower needing dead headed, before i no it im pottering and the main jobs are getting put on the back burner until tomorrow, then it all begins again, yes i formulate planting schemes in my head, but the never end up even close to what was in my head to start with...

26/05/2014 at 23:36

I'm trying to be neat, but my plants have gone mad this year, even ones I have had for several years have suddenly come to life (it may have something to do with me feeding them which I have never done before!!!!), so now my garden isn't neat and looks a bit overgrown so some serious moving about and dividing to be done when I can.

My GH I like to keep neat but at the minute it looks like a bomb's hit it....it will be neat again soon when I've finished planting everything and tidied up!!

26/05/2014 at 23:56

When I first started gardening I tried to be neat.Nice trimmed borders etc but somewhere that got lost in the chaos that is nature. The shrubs at the bottom need pruning right back...the flowering redcurrant,forsythia,the honeysuckle rambling around the old dog kennel where I keep my junk.I've got self seeded violets under there which probably wouldn't have been if I'd been neater with my pruning.I love the randomness of nature and straight lines don't do it for me.Each to their own though,which is the beauty of gardening.

26/05/2014 at 23:57

Interestimg replies.  Like David's garden though.

My own soon...with the heleniums, dahlias, agastaches, lupins, delphiniums, acteas, etc etc...... do cross swords a little and I like that but there is still a neatness control .

MrsGarden, I too have that impulse to have everything but if the "perfect" spot is not immediately found those impulsive buys are potted and I wait.  It helps that I don't use many,,if any, annuals though.  Most times the space occurs.  Oh, the height thing......try some taller stuff.  It doesnt necessarily mean more space is needed and tall spires are magic in the garden.  

Have to confess though...neat lawn, oh yes!  Has to be lush, green, striped and mown twice a week.  

27/05/2014 at 07:16

I like the way that the 'neat bits', straight lawn edges and rows of vegetables etc, accentuate the lush burgeoning bounteous overspillng of the flower beds and the rambling scrambling nature of the climbers on the fences and trellises and the wildness of the little wilderness.

For me, you can't have one without the other 

27/05/2014 at 08:12
I like my rhododendron surrounded by a circle of pink geraniums flowering later. I like my harts tongue fern also encircled by purple heuchera ( although that needs attention as I didn't realise how much the heucjera would grow). A neat path of lavender is planned. A clump of chives in the middle of ? Stachys (lambs ears) will also overgrow soon. Having a plan of fireglow euphorbia with again purple heuchera in front of it and helianthmum's little orange flowers poking out of the heuchera ( and an elusive blue poppy hiding somewhere there). So far this is my take on neatness. Intermingled but sort of planned. Still learning how much the plants grow and spread.
I try height Verdun, but it all seems to be later in the year, nothing for now. Maybe I need some evergreen types? Mini conifers? For form? Grasses you will say, and now I have a couple elsewhere, I will tend to agree... Where are my 'planted last autumn' eremuris? They dont look well.
27/05/2014 at 08:37

I like neat. I like straight lines, sharp edges, right angles, things in threes or fours to create triangles and squares, and a general nice uniformity that would pass an ISO 9001 inspection with the paperwork twice signed and neatly clipped in a folder.

I wonder if this is why I prefer vegetable plants to pretty flowers? They lend themselves so much more naturally to lines.

(I'm the kind of person who irons socks so they look more neat in the drawer).

1 to 20 of 67 messages