London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 9°C
15 messages
19/03/2014 at 12:50

Hi there, I'm new here but wondered if anybody had some advice.

I have a very small garden which comprises of a raised decking area, and then gravel surrounding it. I want to do something else with it so it doesn't look so boring! I'd like to plant some things around the border perhaps to make it look a bit more colourful, but I have no clue when it comes to planting things.

Any advice on what I could plant at this time of year thats fairly easy to maintain? would be great thank you!

19/03/2014 at 14:09

Are you able to take a photo of it to post on here to give folks an idea of it's shape and whether there is fencing etc?  Also which way is it facing i.e. does it get much sun or shade. 

19/03/2014 at 14:58

Also what kind of soil do you have?

19/03/2014 at 18:43

Is all the soil covered at present with decking/gravel? could you get access to a little?

Pics would certainly help, plus some idea of budget, and the 'look' that you would like to go for; modern, urban, tangled cottage style etc and what period is the house?

26/03/2014 at 13:26

Thankyou so much for the response!

There is fencing just to left side, and the rest is brick wall which looks rather damaged/unloved. It gets sun for most of the day from around 11-4. The soil is all covered in decking and gravel, perhaps I could put plant pots around the edge? I'm not sure.
The house was built in the 1900's so its fairly old, I want something fairly modern, but simple. I only have a couple of photos at the moment, which aren't very good but hopefully give you a rough idea of what I'm talking about!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40298.png?width=300&height=246&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40299.png?width=285&height=234&mode=max

My cat is clearly enjoying the garden too much here! But will hopefully give you an idea of what the edges of the garden look like.

26/03/2014 at 13:48

You need to move some of the gravel to see what lies below.  If it's concrete or builders' rubble that yu can't dig out you could make some raised beds or large planters from timber lined with black plastic and plant them up with all sorts of plants depending on what colours you like and which way your garden faces. 

If there is soil beneath the gravel then you can scrape away the gravel and plant shrubs, roses, clematis and so on with soil improving material (garden centres) and then spread the gravel back to keep down weeds and retain moisture.   Climbers can be trained along wires attached to vine eye screws at regular intervals up the fence.  If the brick walls are too fragile to drill, see if you can erect some posts and attach wires to those.

26/03/2014 at 14:38

A question you could ask yourself firstly is " What do I want to look at in 3 months time "

You can

Remove the decking and regenerate the soil which will take a few seasons

Put in a pond which will give you frogs and newts and water lillies and the small possibility of a visiting heron

? What have neighbours done to their gardens....does stuff grow in their soil

? Where does the wind blow from

? Is it a sunny or secluded area

You can hang bird feeders from the fence

?? What do you want to see in 3 months time

26/03/2014 at 14:39
Your garden could look gorgeous with lots of plants in containers. They need feeding and watering but you can grow pretty much anything you fancy with a bit of care. All the plants obelixx mentions will be happy in large pots and you can dot perennial grasses about together with pots of flowers and veg. Colourful shrubs like euonymous just need a light trim now and again and will give you year round interest and (small) conifers can add a bit of height. If you are growing roses in a small garden its probably best to go for a patio or ground cover rose so that you don't get trapped by vicious stems on your way from A to B. Some people hate ivy but it does climb and tumble nicely and there are some very pretty and colourful forms. Just keep it away from the brickwork.
26/03/2014 at 15:07

If you can plant in the soil, hollyhocks would look lovely against that wall - single yellows, apricots and pinky shades - hollyhocks don't need much soil to grow in - they used to grow in the crack between the tarmac playground and the stone front wall of our village school 

26/03/2014 at 22:48

I would also recommend the the idea of pots or containers which you can either move around or update your scheme from time to time. Loads of options with pots from evergreens to grasses to perennial flowers.

26/03/2014 at 23:02

Oh dear!  No offence intended but why I ask.  Why do people who have the benefit of a garden, however small.  Why cover it over with timber?  From the pics.  It appears to me taht even arond the timber, there is very little room to move.  Poor old you.  You obviously would like to see some colour and enjoy some flowers.  Container grown plants would feature nice standing on the decking.  Also a an eye catcher.  Some table displays of alpines.  Truly there are so many possibilities.

27/03/2014 at 17:46

Mike, I have heard quite a few elderly people say, 'Oh we can't be bothered with gardening; we've had the whole thing paved over'. They don't seem to realise that gardening would not only extend their lives, but extend the quality of their lives.

Fencing D, you do not say in the description that we forumatti can access, where you are in the UK (or indeed in the world). This could affect the choice of plants. The lovely old brick wall; is it quite short and is there an alley way beyond it? If so you may feel that for security and privacy you may want to put up some trellis there (not necessarily attached to the wall if it is fragile). Do you know the orientation of the garden? Does it face South?

Do you like a really modern style? That would work best in that space I feel. I suggest that you google small urban gardens and then come back to us for more advice once you have seen ways of dealing with the space that you really like.

Good luck with it, I'm sure it will look fabulous very soon

02/04/2014 at 13:42

Mike Allen and Artjak

Could not agree more with your comments about life style

03/04/2014 at 18:11

Artjak, I reckon from the Op's name that he is is Derby

03/04/2014 at 18:45

Yes, but isn't there a horse race called that?

email image
15 messages