Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

need advice

chicachica Posts: 252

hi all my back garden runs alongside a field where lastsummer these huge big plants appeared on the other side of my fence,they were around six feet tall with silvery leaves and giant poppies pink in colour so i dug one up now the plant died down,dident know what to do so chopped it to around six inched from the root and put it in a pot and its still there have i killed it? someone told me it was a opium poppy and i should have collected the seeds.help

• chica - I worked for a couple of years at a local agricultural college and on the way to work passed fields growing 'opium poppies'. Nipped off my bicycle one day home and collected some seed heads image. Sowed them but nothing happened - perhaps they are sterile - I really don't know but sure someone here will!

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

They're annuals, so replanting one won't work. They self seed in my garden, I wait until the seeds are ripe, cut off some of the stems with seed heads and whang them round the garden. The rest I leave to ripen indoors, with heads down into a paper bag, and save the seeds for cooking.

• I think maybe these commercially grown ones (opium poppies) may be different figrat?

• I mean as far as the fecundity of the seeds go...

• Hi all ,In a peat pot I just sprinkled some poppy seeds that I had in the cubboard.I bought them in the food store for cooking, to my surprize they germinated! I will plant them out and see what I get.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi chica

These poppies will have seeded on your side of the fence or the other, probably both. It's what they do well! Wait til they germinate and claim a few. Theydon't like to be moved but if you get one along with its soil you'll be Ok. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Chica I wouldn't worry too much, just pop behind your garden and dig some new seedlings up when they're big enough. They'll probably have self seeded in to the same spot.
  • chicachica Posts: 252

fantastic advice i only have to climb a 7ft school spiked railing thats on top of a bank no sweat.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    How on earth did you get one in the first place then? image
  • chicachica Posts: 252

sent hubby over,do you think im mad