Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

need advice

chicachica Posts: 252

hi all i have a lovely hellibore growing in a big pot the flowers now are starting to fade,how and when can i collect the seeds from it,ive noticed in the middle of some of the flowers there are four pod like seeds can anyone tell me how i go about this and are they easy to do, thanks guys.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd agree with Verdun, let them seed on the ground, they do it willingly and you don't have to do anything except move them to where you want them to be when they're big enough to handle.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • chicachica Posts: 252

thanks guys as the plant is in a pot on the patio im going to have a go at planting the seeds hope it worksimage

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I dont know if this would work for you , but its what I do . I wait until the seed pods start to feel dryish and I either put the flower in  a paperbag  Tie it loosly around the stem . when the seeds explode they should go in the bag . or  when the seed pods feel dry and paperish I snip the flower off . put it in a paper bag or even put the flower head in a jam jar  in a sunny windowsill etc  again the seeds will explode when ready . 

sow the seed in a compost with a layer of grit ontop . put it outside leave for the winter 's cold spell .(n needs a winter to germinate )