Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Need help identifying (and saving) this small plant

Hiya,

This is my 2nd attempt in keeping a plant.

I was given this plant but wasn't told the name of it. She had cute little lilac flowers when I got it. But then after 2 weeks started to wilt and now the flowers have died. I've been watering from the bottom and have now put a bio baby drip feeder in (2 days ago).

She lives in my open plan kitchen on the windowsill. It seems to like direct light (at least I think).

Can anyone tell me her name?  Also, should I do anything with the dead flowers or is it best to let them fall away on their own?

Many thanks!

K

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I'm sorry, I don't recognise your plant.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't either but indoor plants are a mystery to me. You could try uploading another photo from a different angleimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I don't know either, but I wonder if you've overwatered her? A lot of house plants don't need watering as often as you think.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It could be one of the tradescantia's, one of the indoor varieties. It certainly rings a bell, but for the life of me I can't remember at the moment. I seem to remember having one like this, but it was years ago.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I agree with Dave, you could google Tradescantia (indoor varieties) and see if they look familiar.image

• Lion SLion S Posts: 263

Looks like the plant my Mum loves and which I hate (really nasty smell image) , Exacum affine, or Persian Violets. They come in 3 colours, blue, lilac and white.

They do well in direct light, but they will also do well behind glass curtains. You don't have to remove dead flowers, but to encourage new flower buds you could pinch the old ones out.