Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Need help with different types of plants

Hi I am wondering if you lovely people can think of any plants/shrubs that will grow or do well in a clay like soil. My garden is part shady but not all through the day (so does get a little sun in the boarders) during the afternoon! I have searched the Internet and a few books but I have found nothing that is striking. Am hoping to get a list so I can get to the garden centre & start planting in the next few weeks (if the weather stays) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance image Jem x

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Hollie hock

That is exactly what I am having trouble with, I know joe said on gardeners world 2 episodes ago about planting boarders that ideally you have plants for each season. I.e spring, summer, autumn & winter but its proving difficult for me with soil clay to find anything that fits into any of those category's unless its the usual spring bulbs.
  • That is a lovely looking plants image will defiantly be on the look out for that one. I love the colour & the fact it will help attract wildlife image thanks for that
  • pashpash Posts: 109

Hi Jem, small similar area here, planted with brunnera (jack frost), seems happy, flowers to end of may, but its the foliage i grow it for, find it in the plants section on this site, Phil

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I'll also recommend aquilegias for clay and part shade.  They are a trouble free, long lived perennial and come in a wide range of variations of colour and flower shape.   For climbers, most clematis are happy in part shade, too, but dig a deep hole and mix in plenty of organic matter.  In fact many of the large flowered group 2 clematis prefer it and show thier best flower colour in part shade.  Foxgloves also do well in the same conditions.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Dee 3Dee 3 Posts: 9
    I grow Helenium as they are very good with heavy clay soil.They come in several lovely shades and the bees particularly love the yellow ones.Be careful though as they are very good at spreading!