London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
06/04/2013 at 10:34
Hi I am wondering if you lovely people can think of any plants/shrubs that will grow or do well in a clay like soil. My garden is part shady but not all through the day (so does get a little sun in the boarders) during the afternoon! I have searched the Internet and a few books but I have found nothing that is striking. Am hoping to get a list so I can get to the garden centre & start planting in the next few weeks (if the weather stays) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Jem x
06/04/2013 at 10:42

I have a similar bed that I've been trying to plant up. Apart from Spring bulbs, I have found that my Lupins do ok as well as Aqueligias. Had some success with the perennial geraniums. Still looking for suitable plants that will flower in the Summer though as the bed can look a little bare at that time of year

06/04/2013 at 10:59
Hi Hollie hock

That is exactly what I am having trouble with, I know joe said on gardeners world 2 episodes ago about planting boarders that ideally you have plants for each season. I.e spring, summer, autumn & winter but its proving difficult for me with soil clay to find anything that fits into any of those category's unless its the usual spring bulbs.
06/04/2013 at 11:25

Hi Jem, snap. Remembered another plant that does well for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/419.shtml

I inherited this one and it's known to me as the false sunflower but it's proper name is an inula. Can get pretty big/bushy and it will spread. Flowers in the Summer and the insects love it

06/04/2013 at 11:26
That is a lovely looking plants will defiantly be on the look out for that one. I love the colour & the fact it will help attract wildlife thanks for that
06/04/2013 at 11:45

You're welcome. Been thinking back to last year........... had some calendulas in there, which did flower, maybe not at their best but still some colour, like wise snapdragons. I tended to put these towards the front of the bed where they got more sun. Maybe sweet williams might tolerate these conditions as well

Grew some sweet rocket from seed last year and put a few of them in there last Autumn, just to see what happens. These plants whilst not as big as some others are doing ok and should give me some flowers. Bugle/Ajuga seem to grow anywhere, lovely blue flowers in Spring, but very attractive ground cover for the rest of the year.

I grow a lot of my plants from seed so able to experiment and it doesn't cost me much

06/04/2013 at 11:59

Hi Jem, small similar area here, planted with brunnera (jack frost), seems happy, flowers to end of may, but its the foliage i grow it for, find it in the plants section on this site, Phil

06/04/2013 at 12:15

I'll also recommend aquilegias for clay and part shade.  They are a trouble free, long lived perennial and come in a wide range of variations of colour and flower shape.   For climbers, most clematis are happy in part shade, too, but dig a deep hole and mix in plenty of organic matter.  In fact many of the large flowered group 2 clematis prefer it and show thier best flower colour in part shade.  Foxgloves also do well in the same conditions.

06/04/2013 at 12:26
Hydrangeas would do well there
Pash brunnera jack frost is at its best here right now.
The large leaves formed after flowering during the Summer were not so attractive...losing their variegation too. SO, immediately after flowering i cut back hard ..the new growth and further flowers return.
Always learning
06/04/2013 at 12:33
I grow Helenium as they are very good with heavy clay soil.They come in several lovely shades and the bees particularly love the yellow ones.Be careful though as they are very good at spreading!
06/04/2013 at 12:37
Hello dee 3
I'm growing heleniums for first time this year. I'm aware of their characteristics.....not. Very attractive foliage, for example, but how spreading are they in your experience? Invasive?
06/04/2013 at 12:54

Hi, "jacks" only just showing in the last couple of weeks, had them 5 years or longer, had no problem with loss of variegation, i always cut back as well, fresh foliage looks great, think i posted this last year, i found they like it really moist to be at their best, Phil

06/04/2013 at 12:54

Same ptoblem here, and abig border to plant up so looking forward to reading the solutions offered

06/04/2013 at 13:41
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

I'll also recommend aquilegias for clay and part shade.  They are a trouble free, long lived perennial and come in a wide range of variations of colour and flower shape.   For climbers, most clematis are happy in part shade, too, but dig a deep hole and mix in plenty of organic matter.  In fact many of the large flowered group 2 clematis prefer it and show thier best flower colour in part shade.  Foxgloves also do well in the same conditions.

Agree totally Bob. These have all worked for me in the past.

Have you also thought of using evergreen shrubs so that you have a framework to set off your perennials? Although mainly sun loving, I've had a lot of success with hebes in clay soil if you add a bit of grit when you plant. Skimmia could be useful too as you have berries as well as flowers, and firethorn (pyracantha)is good against a wall or fence with its berries following the June flowers. Great for bees too. Cotoneaster's the same. The hardy geraniums can give you colour right through from spring to autumn especially if you chop them back after flowering - plenty of different varieties of them too

06/04/2013 at 14:48
Wow

Thank you everybody for all your recommendations! I have made a list along with tips & am hoping to go out & vist my local garden centre today to see if I can find any of the plants
will hopefully buy some
06/04/2013 at 15:09

Gloucestergirl did you get the little booklet in GW mag re plants for shady areas? My hole garden is clay, have tried to improve the soild, but now just find the plants that like it. Dicentras do well, astilbes, geraniums, I have a dward hebe which has grown really well, happy on clay too.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21065.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

06/04/2013 at 15:10

Oops, I can spell whole! Just can't type.

06/04/2013 at 21:22
Hi yes I have just found it thank you for reminding me of it. Will be having a look through it
07/04/2013 at 12:33

Hi, dont forget roses love clay soil, I've got heavy clay and I've planted 2 blueberry bushes and

they are doing realy well they have nice folage and wonderful fruits for weeks during the summer. good luck

12/04/2013 at 10:33
Yes, I agree with you Judith,my roses grow well in clay soil,however must watch out for black spot. Not sure whether it's my poor gardening or the wet heavy clay soil! Enjoy your visit to the garden centre Gloucestergirl 13 and good luck with everything.
1 to 20 of 21 messages