London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
4 messages
22/05/2013 at 16:39

Hi all 

My neighbour has the most beautiful acer tree in her garden, she could not remeber the name but after lots of research i found it was a full moon acer, anyway, she has said i can get some curtings to try and grow my own tree But i want to make sure i do everything right and make sure at least a couple of the cuttings grow. Any advice regarding how to take the cuttings, planting them and where to grow them once i have planted them would be brilliant, i do own a greenhouse if his is helpful.

i must say this is by far the prettiest tree i have ever seen and i am desperate to get my own growing!

any help would be brill, thanks chaps.

22/05/2013 at 20:45

I couldn't find an acer called 'full moon' (there is a flowering dogwood though), but there are several Japanese acers with 'moon' in the name (eg Acer palmatum 'Moonfire', Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'.) Assuming it is a Japanese acer, the RHS recommends taking softwood cuttings to propagate:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=307

The other thing to try is buying a cheap acer from a supermarket etc and grafting.

23/05/2013 at 07:32

Thanks a lot, i will try the softwood cutting approach, worst case scenario i will have to Put my hand in my pocket and pay £20-£30 for one. Much obliged.

23/05/2013 at 08:28

Acer shirasawanum is the latin name.

The common name for it is full moon maple!

There is even a named cultivar... a real beauty..Acer shirasawanum Autumn Moon.

It is a different species from Acer palmatum.

Most Acers are grafted.

Full moon maples are very very slow to get started.. but eventually get big.

A stunning and beautiful Acer.

It just hates to be in a windy spot in full sun... the leaves will scorch!

Worth buying from a good nursery... NOT CHEAP!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Acer+shirasawanum&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=J8WdUfyANYnoOpDCgJgB&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1010&bih=434

email image
4 messages