London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
6 messages
14/05/2014 at 20:44

Hi Everyone,

I had a lovely round rose tree but due to working away a lot in the last year it has been neglected and gone all leggy. Can I ask how I can return it to a nice ball, should I just go wild and snip away until I'm happy with the shape?

I know nothing about cutting roses back

PS The picture on my computer is the right way around but when I upload it this site rotates it

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45808.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

14/05/2014 at 20:49

I,m no expert at all though I love roses, my Gertrude Jekyll was leggy after the 1st year or 2 as I was busy away a lot I waited til correct time to prune-autumn or early spring,and after 2 years of hardish pruning she, s a lovely shape , I,m sure more experienced people than me will respond

14/05/2014 at 20:56

I would gently cut away the branches that are flapping around, remove the plants/weeds at the base, give it some rose food or well rotted horse manure. In the Autumn, please plant it in a larger pot, with Fish Blood and Bonemeal mixed in with the fresh compost, place the new container on a large saucer, so that it can suck up some water when you are not there. I love this way of growing roses, I have 2 half standards by the front door and they are much admired.

Bear in mind that a rose that is confined like this does need feeding, dead-heading it will ensure many blooms.

14/05/2014 at 20:58

...and cut it back again in the Autumn and possibly shape it more precisely in late Feb next year.

14/05/2014 at 22:01

Thanks for the advice people

One thing I forgot to mention is the rose now has lots of buds ready to pop, should I still cut it back or wait for flowering to finish?

14/05/2014 at 23:41

I would wait for flowering to finish, seems a shame to miss the flowers. Just neaten up the left side a bit, it's not really the time of year to prune. The rose needs its leaves in summer. Do what Artjak says in autumn and February and keep it fed and watered.

email image
6 messages