London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
9 messages
14/06/2014 at 15:12

Hi,

I bought some Nemesia Maritana (scented lady and sweet lady) at the local nursery when looking to get some container plants. The smell really attracted me to them but when I got home I couldn't find a lot online about the hardiness or whether they are annuals or perennials, the labels don't help much either. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

James

14/06/2014 at 16:36

Hi James.

Not much at all listed about this pretty plant.  I remember it being introduced some years back.  Considering so little info, I'd treat it as an annual.  Taking into account it prefers sun to light shade.  It can be trimmed back and soon re-flowers.  Worth experimenting.  Close to the end of the season.  Cut it back, even if you have done this before.  Pot it up and take it into the greenhouse or some well lit protective area.  From experience, some annuals will overwinter and forge ahead in the spring.  If not.  Nemesia seeds very well.  Why not drop an email to Suttons.  They are one of the best firms around.

Hope you get sorted.

15/06/2014 at 07:21

Penhow Nurseries are the breeders of Nemesia Maritana and they describe it as perennial and suitable for growing "...in well drained soil throughout the winter months".

http://www.penhownurseries.com/downloads/penhow_nurseries_product_info_WEB.pdf 

Hope that helps 

15/06/2014 at 08:04
We bought some for out window boxes last summer and they flowered constantly until quite late, October I think. Out of the 6, 5 survived over the winter although I then lost two through my own neglect : (
I just took them out if the window boxes and kept them in plastic pots over the winter in a dark corner of our balcony. I only lost the two I did through forgetting to water them, our balcony is covered and they were hidden away, unfortunately out of sight and mind.......

But the remaining three are flowering really well and the scent is lovely. Cut them right back when I out them back into the window boxes in March and they were flowering again by end April. Ours are scented lady.
15/06/2014 at 08:42

They are perennial. They're not properly hardy. Chrissie's balcony through a mild winter like our last one is probably about their limit

15/06/2014 at 09:11

I suppose Penhow have the advantage of a 'maritime climate' with no real frosts to speak of - from what they say it's the wet and cold rather than just the cold that does them in. 

15/06/2014 at 13:58

Thanks for all the advice. They are lovely little plants and smell good so being a perennial is great news. I live in the south near the coast so the frosts aren't as harsh as other places but I think I'll move them into the greenhouse over winter just to be on the safe side. The soil is very sandy and free draining here so I guess they'll like that. As a bit of an experiment, I might get a couple more and plant them in the ground to see what happens to them when the frosts arrive. I suppose I could try and take a few cuttings as well. It's actually quite exciting getting to know a new plant.

15/06/2014 at 14:44
The scent is lovely, we only have window boxes and a small balcony but it drifts into the flat and is gorgeous and they just flower and flower non-stop.

Bees seem to love them too
17/08/2014 at 14:09

I've just bought this today and I'm very pleased to see James' question...... I was wondering too. So pleased that it might be considered a perennial but I will have to see as the frosts here can be a little sharp............. I will plant it out today but will do as James is and take some cuttings. I shall follow the advice above and cut back towards the end of the season, but may split and leave some in the ground to see how it fares.......... I haven't seen this little beauty before....... so very pleased I've found it now............. The flowers remind me of ground ivy - tho' I prefer the name 'catsfoot' which grows prolifically around here......

email image
9 messages