London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 3°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
25/05/2013 at 07:52

Dear All 

Please let me draw attention to a new EU law which is currently trying to be brought in which would criminalise the act of collecting and then growing seeds from non-EU approved listed sources. This is not a hoax - even though it sounds too unbelievable to be true. Please investigate for yourselves. A good start is this link to an on-line petition.

www.avaaz.org/en/petition/We_dont_accept_this_Let_us_keep_our_seeds_EU

Just imagine the implications!

25/05/2013 at 08:16

Sorry I just realised that most people (including myself) would not want to click on an internet link)

To look at this yourself type 'real seeds in EU law' into your search engine and that will be a good place to start.

Lyn
25/05/2013 at 08:22

So, how will they enforce this? They will have a job on there!

25/05/2013 at 11:22

I am pretty sure that when you check the detail it will refer to commercial activity only, such as selling seed or growing crops for sale that have come from unauthorised seed. it won't apply to ordinary gardeners. 

26/05/2013 at 09:10

Will there be a 'seed police', like they are going to have to have the 'barley police' to stop people using barley to clear their ponds? If this rule does apply to domestic gardens I will completely ignore it; how else would we develop new varieties of flowers and veg?

26/05/2013 at 09:48

I get pretty het up about a lot of EU legislation (olive oil!), but I would like to know more before rubbishing this one. They may be trying to prevent illegal use of GM seeds by farmers, or the import of alien species considered harmful to native plants. The target will be commercial seed suppliers. They will not be trying to stop gardeners swopping seeds, just in the same way as the legislation on home made jams and cakes is not intended to stop you giving your produce to a friend. 

26/05/2013 at 15:00

Gold1locks, does the new law on homemade jams and cakes stop the W.I. from selling their stuff?

26/05/2013 at 20:16

Not this law, but the WI stopped selling cakes and jam a while back due to laws on food labelling, kitchen inspections etc.. And just a week or so ago it became illegal to sell jam   using recycled lids. Not sure where I stand on this one. 

26/05/2013 at 21:25

G1l, the local ladies sell local stuff at the local market, are they revolutionaries? I DO hope so

26/05/2013 at 21:46

It is up to each local authority to decide whether to act or turn a blind eye. Many do.

26/05/2013 at 21:51

Thank you for info.

26/05/2013 at 21:57

Mother in law is secretary in the local WI. She can very animated about this! 

26/05/2013 at 22:08

G1l, she sounds like a good woman!

26/05/2013 at 22:17

The village has regular quiz evenings to raise funds for the local church. Food is provided at half time while a raffle takes place. Can't imagine any official daring to apply the law. they'd be lynched.

26/05/2013 at 22:21
Gold1locks wrote (see)

The village has regular quiz evenings to raise funds for the local church. Food is provided at half time while a raffle takes place. Can't imagine any official daring to apply the law. they'd be lynched.

So they should be lynched. Everything would be hypersafe, all the same and dead boring if officialdom had it's way

26/05/2013 at 22:28

I think us wrinkleys should be the new revolutionaries

26/05/2013 at 23:43

Such so called laws are just asking to be ignored.  It's the only way we get to "vote" on what the bureaucrats are doing. 

27/05/2013 at 00:09

I ask? who would know, a brown paper packet a quick shuffle up to said plant a shake of said plant, a faint rattle of seed in brown paper packet as it disappears into copious pocket of baggy gardening trews, or North of the border under the Kilt.
Who would be brave enough to go searching under a Kilt I ask.
There are how many million gardens in the UK, not enough Police to catch the local criminals so who is to watch you sneaking seed off your own plants.
It would of course be a good idea not to fall out with your neighbours, they could grass you up (using seed I hope), A couple of old gardening mates have told me the stuff on my garage shelves was outlawed twenty years ago, well they ain't caught me yet.
I say B@##@ to the Europeans and carry on as normal, I would have a field day if I was caught, standing up in Court explaining how the prevailing winds scattered the seed with no help from me so it must be the hand of God.

Frank.

27/05/2013 at 00:37

Frank, I would blame the birds

27/05/2013 at 08:35

I really don't understand why people get so exercised about the EU before informing themselves about what is really happening. It is to do with seed varieties having to be registered in order to be sold, a process which costs a lot of money. Seed companies only register varieties that sell well, those that don't are dropped from catalogues and may disappear. The EU's argument is that registration ensures the quality of seeds being sold.  

It is not going to interfere with gardeners swapping seeds.   It will make it harder to get unusual varieties of seeds but Garden Organic already has a way round that problem for saving old vegetable varietties.    Others will, i'm sure, find ways round the new rules.

It should not be forgotten that there is a British officialdom menatlity that means rules are applied in the UK to excess as the Jobsworths over interpret regulations.   EU rules are there to try and bring equality of standards and competition across many countries of diverse incomes, productivity, character and customs.   There is, for example, no Health and Safety department at my local council here in Belgium.  People are expected to use common sense.

1 to 20 of 23 messages