London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
19/08/2013 at 20:40

Well the oddest thing happened today a load of trellis made its way to my garden!!! Haha, family had some left over from building some flower beds for our local disabled school and he said I could have the rest since he had no use for it and it was free!! I decided to enclose that whole area... now im not sure if its bit.... tacky? Maybe once my flowers are all over it, itll be nice? Fingers crossed. Today I took a walk over to homebase and there was very very few climber plants, I picked up a clematis rebecca? It had very little information on it plus no assistants around to help me...

http://pbr1067.photobucket.com/albums/u439/zmchristopher/temporary_zps6b759495.jpg?t=1376928798

so I dont know if ive done right or wrong here but for £6 it doesnt matter.... 

19/08/2013 at 20:42
ginagibbs wrote (see)

Good luck Zoe, love your dog bye the way!

Thank you! Her names Halo, my sweet heart

19/08/2013 at 20:46
addict wrote (see)

Is it quite shady there Zoe? if so Euonymus radicans argenteo-marginata would grow well there and easily kept to size. Self clinging too so no need for support 

The sun is shining on that wall from about 2pm, it starts on the left hand side (behind breeze block wall) to the right and pretty much stays there shining right in

19/08/2013 at 20:47

Hi Zoe, lots of good advice already. I'd suggest the trellis on the wall is the obvious solution and then you can plant some climbers. You can extend that onto the brick wall too and it will all blend in together. Relatively easy and cheap to do.

Grasses will be good round your pond as many are pretty tough and evergreen but more info about aspect and soil will make it easier to make suggestions. Good foliage plants will give cover for wildlife - hostas, astilbes and ferns if there's some shade and ligularias if there's sun. They all like damper soil and look well beside a pond. Have a think about colours that you like too or whether you want more of a little green oasis!

19/08/2013 at 20:49

Clematis Rebecca is a beautiful dark red colour with white stamens and grows to about 7 feet high. It is small enough to grow in a container - 2 foot diameter. It likes a sunny or semi-shaded spot.

Its pruning code is 2. It has one big flush of flowers and, if you deadhead them, it will have a second show later on.

Nice doggy

19/08/2013 at 20:53

Wow, Zoe, you don't mess around do you? Had to look back at dates on your posts, quick work! I'd be pondering for the next 3 weeks. Well done, can I borrow you to put my ideas into action? It looks good, just wait till it all takes off in next year or so.

19/08/2013 at 20:54

This might b a silly question but ive put it right in the corner by telephone pole (another awful thing) I know it wont flower now? But will it keep growing an climbing? Or is it all at a complete stand still? I seriously need to brush up on the gardening jargon lol

19/08/2013 at 21:33

It won't do much now Zoe just get its roots in and on there way.

Little rhyme someone told me about plants...1st year they sleep, 2nd year they creep, 3rd year they leap! 

Euonymous won't be any good there too sunny. Not much on the evergreen front that will grow short enough for you. Will have a think  

19/08/2013 at 21:38

Thank you! Any suggestions for what I could use now would be brill 

19/08/2013 at 21:56

You any good at growing from seed? These may well survive in your garden as it is so sheltered.

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_490h_eccremocarpus_scaber_tresco_mixed_seeds

19/08/2013 at 22:04

Dunno, never done it before but I'll buy some and let you know! Lol

19/08/2013 at 22:07

Rebecca is on that Taylor's Clematis site I sent the link for. If you look on the left, Clematis by name and click on that. Looks a good one.

19/08/2013 at 22:08

What about this one? Scented too.

http://www.planfor.co.uk/buy,jasmine-primrose,1097,EN 

19/08/2013 at 22:17

Busy lizzy yeah I found it on the taylors website after, cant wait for it to grow will look lush 

19/08/2013 at 22:31

Hi Zoe you are now a gardener with out dought just keep doing what you think is right there are no rules if it goes wrong start again don't give up, if it look bad move it around plants take time to get there roots growing so dig it up and move it but make sure you water well.Oldchippy.

19/08/2013 at 22:45

A mixture of clematis, honeysuckle and jasmine might work on the trellis and a rambling rose or even a wisteria. The pond might support a miniature lily and flag iris and marsh marigold (king cup).

email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages