London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
9 messages
04/09/2012 at 15:09

Hi

I bought 2 roses for daughter and other half - Katherine and Sophie (roses were named)  Sophie is going great, however Katherine is looking pretty unwell. I have

tried lots of bug spr

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11422.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

ays, but still the plant declines,. any thoughts?

04/09/2012 at 17:26

Bugs aren't your problem. It's fungal - Black Spot - about the most common fungal problem for roses. I get plagues of it. There's not much you can do once it's in situ. The plant will drop its leaves for winter. Collect all the affected leaves and destroy them.

04/09/2012 at 17:53

Yes, clean off and bin or burn all the affected foliage when it drops so the spores don't stick around for next year.   Keep your roses well fed from early spring to late June so they are strong enough to withstand disease. 

05/09/2012 at 10:10

Great, I had noticed that a couple of surrounding roses has also started to show the signs.  Can I stop this from occuring again??  is it because I live in such a damp climate?

Thanks

05/09/2012 at 10:15

lots of black spot around this year and lots of roses are affected. Clear all affected leaves and there is a spray you can use but i cant remember the name of it. Im sure your local garden centre will help.

05/09/2012 at 10:29
biff227 wrote (see)

Great, I had noticed that a couple of surrounding roses has also started to show the signs.  Can I stop this from occuring again??  is it because I live in such a damp climate?

Thanks

It's the most common rose problem. Nearly impossible to avoid. You can try spraying. Like all sprays against fungal problems it has to be preventive - you have to start before the symptoms appear. It's too late once they turn up. Effectively you're coating the leaves to prevent the fungal spores from getting a grip.

If you feel like spraying, Bordeaux Mixture is about the most common product, though it's going to be banned next year. You'll find other products at any garden centre. Spraying isn't a guarantee against the disease but it helps.

Other than that, it's a matter of dedicated housekeeping. As soon as you see a leaf showing the symptoms, remove it and destroy it. Collect any fallen affected leaves and destroy them too. And be careful of spreading the pathogen via either hands or secateurs.

05/09/2012 at 10:33

I bought my mum a grow and name your own rose for mothers day this year. First packet of seeds was a dud. second packet i managed to get 3 seedlings and now i only have one, not sure what happened.  Im hoping when i get flowers i can save some hips and grow some more but i think it may be a while before that happens.

18/09/2012 at 19:46

Hi thanks for the advice, is it damp conditions??  or just hard luck that I got this??

19/09/2012 at 07:01

It's down to luck in terms of the combination of the fungal spores being around in damp or humid conditions. Given those conditions, odds are you'll finish up with it. As I said, it's about the most common rose fungal problem.

email image
9 messages