Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New hedge advice?

Hi all, Over winter I planted a new hedge, bare rooted dormant plants, 80% hawthorn and 20% blackthorn.  Its coming into leaf now and looks healthy but looking at it I think I may have done something wrong.  The plants are about 50cms tall but only the top 20cms have leaves, leaving a 30cm gap of bare stems.  Have I planted a row of mini standards or will it bush out at the bottom later?  Am I supposed to prune it or something? I cant decide if it looks silly or if it will be ok in a few years.  Thank you for your advice. 

• Hi the rhs website has quite a bit of information on hedges how to look after them and establishment problems. Have a look at this link :-

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=261

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think I'd let it get it's roots established this year, and then cut it back next winter to encourage it to bush out, then it'll romp away.  Make sure you keep the base of the hedge free from weeds and grass image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I agree with dove prune any side shoots lightly  but don't prune the top if they haven't reached the height you want your finished hedge.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think havadayoff's advice would be right for a conifer hedge but not for hawthorn/blackthorn

The usual native hedging advice is to reduce by a third or a half on planting and cut hard the following autumn.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Agree with nutcutlet. The hedhge will look odd at first.Patience needed with native hedging. 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

hi mrs b i've been looking for hawthorn hedge wondering if i can poss accommodate one, sorry can't help with advice but could you tell me where you got yours?

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I don't see any point in cutting it back in any way this year unless the roots have been severely pruned in which case take a third off the top as nut says. Let it establish then cut back hard next year. As long as you water it once a week with a good drink it will be fine. If you cut it hard back this year it will not establish as quickly as if you left it.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I would not cut back the hedge until late autumn this year. That gives the wips a chance to put down roots and being fed with leaves. I cut where it needs it. Hawthorn branches out where you cut. Growth can be quite straggly, so you can fill out bare patches quite quickly.

Hello Jim and blairs, thanks for adding your advice to this discussion. image

Will pass on to my son who intends to use hawthorn / buckthorn hedging at the end of his garden. 

Ps. Good luck with the hedging Mrs Borders.